The Last Days of the Fillmore

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

The Last Days of the Fillmore

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:43 pm

Just stumbled on this 3 record set called The Last days of the Fillmore. Has lots of great live stuff, Hot Tuna, Elvin Bishop, Its a Beautiful Day, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Tower of Power, Boz Scaggs , The Grateful Dead, and a few others. Bill Graham is the MC of the whole show. Its dated 1976 so the show was probably recorded in 75. Just saying if you happen to see it, buy it, its well worth owning. But im not certain its even in print anymore since I got mine used.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby JPPMcStepBBlues on Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:51 am

You might want to check that date again because the last concert at the Fillmore East was on 6/27/71, make sure you are not getting a bum copy of it. The record should have a ticket and a program from the concerts as an insert in the vinyl. I dont like the Quicksilver Messenger Service performances though because Dino Valenti had pretty much taken over the band and John Cipollina and David Freiberg were out, but the Hot Tuna and the jam at the end is pretty sweet. There is a bootleg of the jam with Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers and it is awesome, better than the whole three record set out together. I never thought the performances were that great on the three record set you are talking about.....there were so many classic performances there and most of the stuff that happened that night was pretty sub par for the Fillmore East.....just my opinion.
If you were a cloud and you sailed up there,
You sail on water as blue as air;
You'd see me here in the fields and say,
"Doesn't the sky look green today?"
JPPMcStepBBlues

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Hmm funny you should say this....all these bands were San Francisco based bands. Quicksilver Messenger Service, Its a Beautiful Day, Grateful Dead, Hot Tuna, ect. I thought this set was from the Fillmore West. Bill Graham narrates it at the end saying good bye. Also this set had no ticket nor program. but i did buy it used. hmm did i get taken when i bought this ?
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby Whenheco on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:30 pm

When the venerable San Francisco rock & roll mecca the Fillmore West packed it in on the Forth of July 1971 an era in pop music history had also passed.
Dancehall keeper Bill "Uncle Bobo" Graham — under whose meticulous supervision the venue flourished — held a wake and hand-picked a select few locals
to give the Fillmore its last musical rights.

The Grateful Dead ("Casey Jones" and "Johnny B. Goode"), Quicksilver Messenger Service ("Fresh Air" and "Mojo"), as well as Santana ("Incident at Neshabur" and "In a Silent Way")
all make strong showings as do some of the lesser-known artists such as Malo ("Pana") or Lamb ("Hello Friends").

Fillmore: The Last Days includes some amazing performances from It's a Beautiful Day ("White Bird") as well as the stunningly powerful "Baby's Calling Me Home" by Boz Scaggs,
plus a definitive version of "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burnin'" from Hot Tuna.

The "Words With Bill Graham" interview allows Graham to personally express his thanks to the people who made the Fillmore such a success and to give some
insight into the changing dynamics (read: money and drugs) that so radically altered his ability to adequately provide both artist and attendee with the same high-quality
performance and venue for a reasonable price.

That's an review from the All Music Guide (AMG). Hope that this anwered you're question.
Whenheco

Postby psychhead on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:46 am

:shock: So the Fillmore packed in in '71 then??!!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:47 am

Ok, i jut learned that I have a reissue of the original. The original came as a box set , with a poster and ticket. 2 came out in 1972, one on CBS, which has the ticket and poster and mine, on warner Bros. CBS had these inside the box. warner bros got skimpy and didnt put these things in.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Return to Open Forums