The Grateful Dead

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Should SurrealisticPillowChild buy live dead????

Yeah, definately
54%
Give it a try!
38%
No way, just buy some grass! =)
8%

Total votes : 13

The Grateful Dead

Postby SurrealisticPillowChild on Tue May 24, 2005 3:59 am

Just looking for a little help...

Ime not a huge fan of the grateful dead, but I have their "American Beauty" album and i really like it a lot.

I weas wondering if anybody could recommend another album i might like. my favourite song by the dead is "Help on the way" which i think is an amazing song...

I have seen "Live Dead" in local stores and was wondering if it would be worth buying :?
If "live Dead" is more of their countryfied music ime not too bothered about buying it, but most people i have asked elsewhere say that "live dead" is a really great live album with lots of improvisation :)

Also, if anybody has heard the 13th floor elevator, are they any good?? i havent heard them yet :D :(

thanks for reading, Daron :D
trip
trip
to
a
dream
dragon
SurrealisticPillowChild

Re: The Grateful Dead

Postby psychhead on Tue May 24, 2005 4:29 am

Concerning the 13th Flr. Elevators, if you don't like psychedelic music that doesn't come from the West Coast (they're Texas psych.!!!), perhaps you won't like it much...many people think Roky and co. are pretty 'punkish'...I don't...i luv 'em!!!!

Rob 8)

SurrealisticPillowChild wrote:Just looking for a little help...

Ime not a huge fan of the grateful dead, but I have their "American Beauty" album and i really like it a lot.

I weas wondering if anybody could recommend another album i might like. my favourite song by the dead is "Help on the way" which i think is an amazing song...

I have seen "Live Dead" in local stores and was wondering if it would be worth buying :?
If "live Dead" is more of their countryfied music ime not too bothered about buying it, but most people i have asked elsewhere say that "live dead" is a really great live album with lots of improvisation :)

Also, if anybody has heard the 13th floor elevator, are they any good?? i havent heard them yet :D :(

thanks for reading, Daron :D
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby baronvonjack on Tue May 24, 2005 5:43 am

my first dead album was aoxomoxoa
and still one of my all time albums
not so much freak out Psychedelic
its has an easy free flow style to it
you can get hold of a copy quiet cheap and still have some change to pick up some pot :P
hurry up sleep take me
else i'll be late for tea
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Postby SurrealisticPillowChild on Tue May 24, 2005 6:26 am

baronvonjack wrote:my first dead album was aoxomoxoa
and still one of my all time albums
not so much freak out Psychedelic
its has an easy free flow style to it
you can get hold of a copy quiet cheap and still have some change to pick up some pot :P

Thanks for the comments so far, and yeah, ill get a copy of aoxomoxoa this weekend for sure.

Ime always on these forums so i can reply pretty quickly to all threads etc :D Ime a student and i spend half of my time just listening to jefferson airplane and sitting on these forums :D :D
trip
trip
to
a
dream
dragon
SurrealisticPillowChild

Postby baronvonjack on Tue May 24, 2005 7:11 am

just thought i'd drop a line and mention a band called
united states of america and thier self titled album
if you dont have a copy its well worth checking out
not so much west coast more new york acid
its very dark and eerie.
lots of very early synthesizers and ring modulators
and loads of trippy lyrics
i only play the album when my girlfrind is out of the flat
it freaks her out :wink:

i normally try to log on site when i am on my lunch break at work
i pack boxes in a warehouse
but for the past two days i have skivved
went to see captian paul and the js on saturday down at the mean fiddler london
danced my arse off for the whole gig and now i am to knackerd to walk.
your not dead when you turn 30 you just hurt in places you did'nt know you had. :lol:
highlight of the gig was meeting paul at the bar
if i had'nt been so wasted i might of said something meaningful
just asked if he wanted a pint
alas someone else was already getting the drinks in
hurry up sleep take me
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Chicks and psych

Postby psychhead on Wed May 25, 2005 4:01 am

Hey baron.......your girlfriend makes me wonder why chicks "raise their heels" when they hear trippy music??! I have the funny feeling it gets on their nerves for some obscure reason (NOT ALL chicks of course!!) 8)
psychhead

Postby baronvonjack on Wed May 25, 2005 9:42 am

oh you might have hit the nail on the head about our music being seen as obscure.
i know a few ladys who like to groove to an acid tune but for the most part bands like ja and the dead are unknown to most uk folks
a techno band called the boogie pimps (german) did a remix of sombody to love it came out last year and was a huge hit across europe i think it went top 5 in the uk . my girlfriend liked that version :( but i had to tell her it was a ja tune .
watch out there,s a real crap euro techo white rabbit mix out there :evil:
avoid at all cost

p.s my girlfriend would like to say she thinks my taste in music is sh*t :!:
well guess who,s sleeping on the sofa tonight
hurry up sleep take me
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Postby gTarFreak on Wed May 25, 2005 1:26 pm

Tell her that one's taste in music is closely linked to one's taste in girlfriends. That is, if you have a doghouse out back that you can move into....

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby jonestown on Thu May 26, 2005 6:00 pm

Workingman's Dead.

man oh man oh friend of mine
jonestown

Postby nickwishkah on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:09 am

Dave, you're always so perceptive... That's what i was thinking.
In terms of the live Grateful Dead albums, my favourite is Anthem for the Sun. The songs are shorter, more accessible, and properly thought out. While i like the jamming of the dead sometimes they seem to keep playing for the sake of it. I like more thought out improvisation. Live Dead is great but maybe check out Anthem for the Sun first. And just to answer one of your other questions neither albums are in the slightest bit country or that much like American Beauty either.

Nick

p.s. i never really liked the united states of america album. i found it really predictable. The high point is definitely the American Metaphysical Circus's intro. I have to disagree again i'm afraid, i thought the lyrics were really crap. Having said all that i haven't heard any of the bonus tracks which are allegedly better than the album as i bought it before the bonus track pressing was released.
nickwishkah

Postby Fidel on Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:33 am

Anthem o/t Sun is my favorite Dead album too, but short songs? Two sides/two songs.
Fidel

Postby bornXeyed on Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:53 pm

the 13th floor elevators are a good band listen to roller coaster or your gonna miss me good songs, anthem of the sun is pretty heavy had a good trip bad then good try their self titled album more of their acid-test days
bornXeyed

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:04 pm

damn I was planning on buying that USOA album soon but im not sure if I will now...

The 13th Floor Elevators are pretty good, but the lyrics are the best part, totally cosmic and what have you

Postby psychhead on Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:55 am

:D 8) Oh no worries man......I've been hearing these comments on music for eons..it's history repeating! Then again, music is subjective, isn't it??!!

baronvonjack wrote:oh you might have hit the nail on the head about our music being seen as obscure.
i know a few ladys who like to groove to an acid tune but for the most part bands like ja and the dead are unknown to most uk folks
a techno band called the boogie pimps (german) did a remix of sombody to love it came out last year and was a huge hit across europe i think it went top 5 in the uk . my girlfriend liked that version :( but i had to tell her it was a ja tune .
watch out there,s a real crap euro techo white rabbit mix out there :evil:
avoid at all cost

p.s my girlfriend would like to say she thinks my taste in music is sh*t :!:
well guess who,s sleeping on the sofa tonight
psychhead

Return to Open Forums