May 4 1970...lest we forget!

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

May 4 1970...lest we forget!

Postby psychhead on Sun May 22, 2005 7:37 am

:cry: :cry:
Sandra, Bill, Allison and Jeffrey RIP!! How many of us remembered??!! It was 18 days, 35 years ago! I have been posting this (belated) reminder on all the 60s, counter-culture sites I know of (someone here from the Janis Joplin forum might have noticed?!) :cry:
Dedicated to anyone out there who has ever been, is and will be a student :twisted: !!
I, for one, will NEVER forget the horrified faces of S,B,A, J's schoolmates upon seeing them fall under National Guard fire at KSU!!!
Their "fault": to be young, free and coherent with their ideas!!!!
LEST WE FORGET!!!! 8)

http://may41970.com/

Rob 8)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Lest we Forget.

Postby noelpne on Mon May 23, 2005 8:25 am

You know - over in England at the time ( I was 15 at the time of the Kent
State thing ) - the press never made much of a Deal of it - it was only
later when I heard the classic Album '"Surf's Up" by the Beach Boys
- with THAT song on it, that it really 'hit home' - - one's own Police Force
firing upon one's own children? Very Sad. It summed-up those times of 'rebellion' and how sour the "American Dream" had become to the Youth of America at the time.
There wasn't really anything like that over here - we never conscripted Half a Million of our Youth to fight a War that not very many of those boys
beleived in . And we never had a 'Peoples Park' either. And there was no huge 'Race' issue either. The last time there was huge anti-government dissent was the infamous "Poll Tax Riots". Prior to that, there was also great division in the country over the Coal Miners Strike. But no big student marches/moritoriums like in America.
noelpne

Postby gTarFreak on Mon May 23, 2005 8:34 pm

Still can't listen to CSNY's "Ohio" without getting tears....

Dave
gTarFreak

Re: Lest we Forget.

Postby psychhead on Tue May 24, 2005 1:56 am

Hi noelpne! Yeah, we didn't have those things you mentioned in OZ either...but we got a lot of feedback on what was happening in the States during those turmoiled years...sad things!!! I guess I was pretty sensitive to all things U.S. because in high school we even had an American music supply teacher (very sexy at that!!!) and Mr. Smith, from Connecticut, our English teacher who explained the REAL America to us (thanx forever Mr.Smith!!). But then people tend to get a short memory because, in a way, we have this 'mind-removal' thing that tends to remove all our sad memories.....but then again, it could have happened to any of us, anywhere, at anytime, so we all should show a little respect to the "fallen" ones...I think that period was my generation's WWII!!
Anyway, I would include the 4 young students (patriots, not heroes!!) in some kind of 'Hall OF Fame for TRUE Sons & Daughters of America'!!!!

Rob :twisted:

noelpne wrote:You know - over in England at the time ( I was 15 at the time of the Kent
State thing ) - the press never made much of a Deal of it - it was only
later when I heard the classic Album '"Surf's Up" by the Beach Boys
- with THAT song on it, that it really 'hit home' - - one's own Police Force
firing upon one's own children? Very Sad. It summed-up those times of 'rebellion' and how sour the "American Dream" had become to the Youth of America at the time.
There wasn't really anything like that over here - we never conscripted Half a Million of our Youth to fight a War that not very many of those boys
beleived in . And we never had a 'Peoples Park' either. And there was no huge 'Race' issue either. The last time there was huge anti-government dissent was the infamous "Poll Tax Riots". Prior to that, there was also great division in the country over the Coal Miners Strike. But no big student marches/moritoriums like in America.
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Wed May 25, 2005 9:58 am

This was one of the most humilitating times in modern history for america. Kids, mere college students protesting what they thought was wrong and being killed for it. The whole time the government telling us Peach was at hand, as more and more US military personel were returning to America missing limbs or dead. G Gordon Liddy has said behind closed doors they knew by 1968 that the USA would lose their asses in Vietnam but they couldnt tell the people. Kent state, was the spark that started the eventual inferno, this plus thw whole watergate mess and Vietnam eventually led Nixon to resign as president four years later. A wound gets worse if its treated wih neglect, these were the rashes that Nixon just couldnt make go away.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Return to Open Forums