Anyone from England??

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Anyone from England??

Postby SurrealisticPillowChild on Thu May 12, 2005 11:51 pm

I noticed that there are quite a few of us from England on here, so I think it would be cool if members from England could introduce themselves here just so we can all get to know each other..

Well...

My name is Daron, I live in Wakefield West Yorkshire and ime currently studying music at college. I also have the worst job in the world which is stacking shelves at Morrisons :cry: which i hate, but i need my own money, cant just keep borrowing money from parents etc :D

Ime into most music, but my favourite music is 60's folk rock psychedelic etc etc, basically the majority of bands from the 60's are my favourite...

mainly Jefferson airplane, The Doors, Beatles, The Byrds, Pink Floyd, Crosby Stills and Nash, Joni Michell, Richie Havens, Lovin Spoonfull, Planet Gong (who i think are more early 70's than anythin 8) ) The beach boys.... the list is endless..but i guess from the above bands you guess what ime into...My favourite artist at the moment is the great Syd Barrett
My favourite films are Woodstock 3 days of peace & music, Withnail and I, Dazed and Confused...

I am interested in a lot of political issues, mainly the anti nukes and anti BNP issues..
I enjoy playing Guitar, bass, and drums. Writing own songs etc...

I look forward to reading other peoples interests 8)
Peace :D
trip
trip
to
a
dream
dragon
SurrealisticPillowChild

Anyone from England?

Postby noelpne on Fri May 13, 2005 7:34 am

Hi - I'm over on the other side of the Pennine hills from yourself. The
Preston/Lancaster area.

It's interesting that your musical interests seem to be from 'way back when' - when (probablly, I'm suggesting ) most of the folk on this Web
Site were forming their musical tastes. Are you influenced by your
family/freinds - or was a case of finding 'Hidden Treasure' in the attic?

Are you 'on you own' on this one in realtion to your freinds-or do they all
like 'Stereophonics' 'Oasis' etc etc. ?

Personally I like some decent Drum&Bass to dance along to, as well. As
well as Classical stuff like, e.g Vaughn Williams' "The Lark Arising" . The
thing is - to keep an open mind musically - and try to listen to everything-
even if it's just the once.
noelpne

Postby Guest on Mon May 16, 2005 1:18 am

Good question :D I got into the airplane and the whole hippy thing about 2 years ago. I became interested in things such as the anti-nukes movement and I had been into the beatles for a few years before i really became "hip" as you could put it. I first heard the airplanes "white rabbit" at about 2 in the morning and i loved it. I bought an album by them a few days later and i loved them. The first hip band i liked were the beatles i guess, but when i heard the Doors i knew that i should get hold of some more 60's psych and folk rock albums etc. Something i quickly realised about a lot of the bands i was getting into a few years ago was that most of the woodstock generation of bands all have at least one song that stands out. For example the lovin spoonful have "daydream" which everyone knows. The doors "light my fire", Airplanes "somebody to love", Iron butterflys "in-a-gadda-da-vida" and so on...you get the point i guess :D

But yeah, the 60's were amazing, i wasnt there, and i never will be, but the things that were happening that we look back to now...the whole sexual revolution, woodstock!, the vietnam war and Nixon, JKF, everything and anything to do with the hippy movement was in my opinion really far-out and just amazing..
Face it, there will never be another Timothy Leary, Allen Ginsberg, and there will never be anyone like Jack Kerouac or Wavy Gravy :D

Peace out :P

Postby Guest on Mon May 16, 2005 1:30 am

Oh yeah, and as for my friends taste in music, yeah, my best friend is really into all that 70's punk stuff, buzzcocks and undertones etc etc...

And everyone, not one person excluded at college is into heavy metal which is cool i suppose because its the latest thing to be into and to like, but i cant stand a lot of it, rage against the machine are cool and a few others, but its all the damn same...and sadly i have to be put into bands with classmates and all they wanna play is metal and the occasional power ballad :(

One of my close friends likes Simon and Garfunkle, but only a few songs :D

Postby SurrealisticPillowChild on Mon May 16, 2005 2:45 am

Sorry, twice i have done this now...those last 2 posts were mine :)
trip
trip
to
a
dream
dragon
SurrealisticPillowChild

Anyone from England?

Postby noelpne on Mon May 16, 2005 8:51 am

Hey some Metal is cool - but a lot is ( "just" ) good tunes & rffs 'done'
through Guitar Effects Boxes with mucho distortion. Lots of chords sound
good "metalled" - but for composing it's "easier" on an Acoustic & then
transfer it to an Electric.

Relating the Jefferson Airplane sound to yourself -- try and get some
of Jorma's Licks 'n' Riffs down.

Metal comes from Rock and Rock from da Blues & Jorma's a Master of
Blues & Rock .

Lots of Metallers have to have a BC Rich & a big Marshall - but try & dig
Jorma's setup - I think it was a 'big' Gibson Semi-Acoustic driving a
Fender Valve Amp for that "Clean" overdriven "Pure" sound. Hey, it's
EASY to dirty things up...but if one starts dirty your options are fewer, right?

Why don't you try and contact Jorma directly from this site - I believe
that there are links ! Jrma will be able to tell you how to replicate that
sound of his as much as it's possible to do and how best to control feedback problems that one gets moe when playing a big "Semi".

Make a different sound to the Metal - but just as loud,man.

p.s. You might like Placebo.
noelpne

Re: Anyone from England?

Postby SurrealisticPillowChild on Tue May 17, 2005 6:29 am

noelpne wrote:p.s. You might like Placebo.

Bingo, I love placebo :D
trip
trip
to
a
dream
dragon
SurrealisticPillowChild

Return to Open Forums