HIPPIES!!!

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

HIPPIES!!!

Postby Dr. Strange Love on Sun May 08, 2005 8:08 pm

Would any of you agree that the economy/government controlling companies of the sixies realized that this counter culture was a possible and very likely threat to the status quo of the time. And then with that conclusion made hippie fashion and music a commodity, with the intent to cause the hippie "scene" to explode onto the world and then fizzle out. Fizzle out because its core political and idealogical values had been removed in the process of making it a mindless trend?

They wanted this because if you make something a mindless trend and cause it to die there is no chance of large scale social change. And most if not all of the authentic hippies werent to fond of capitalism.
Dr. Strange Love

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Sun May 08, 2005 9:02 pm

If everything were different the ideals of the hippies could have worked. As far as i know, the hippies believed in a totally free society. Why wear clothes since we were not born with any? In this society theres no need for money since everything was free to all. No need for wepons or violence. Live off the land and be free. However it couldnt work in modern times, since our world revolves around money and greed and politics. If you ever have seen The Isle of Wright concert on dvd or The Festival Express , you will see the very last of the hippies coming to grasp with corprate greed clashing with this hippie society. The people thinking that the music is THEIR music and the bands play just because they believe its all free, without grasping even back then the bands and performers were making a living, it was a job for them. The hippie ideals like this nearly led to the complete meltdown of The Isle of Wright show and the Canadaian riot police were called to handle people who refused to pay to get into Festival Express. In my opinion the isle of wright was the last gasping breath of the whole hippie movement.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Playing the Devils' Advocate.....

Postby Mr. Orange on Tue May 10, 2005 4:33 am

The thoughts and hopes of the "hippies" were and are a beautiful thing, however, in todays society WITH capitialism. I think it's hard to really want to pull away from an economy that (agree with me or not) is quite rewarding. You can have your own business and not have to share the income- minus taxes of course.
In todays day and age, who wants to bust your ass working in the fields all day, not reaping much of a reward and having a sore back when you can slouch around at McDonalds for a few hours, supply some half-assed service and get payed relatively well for it. It's unfortunate how things work but I think it's all very true.
I don't know if I believe in the government really trying to exploit the "hippies" by selling the clothes...but I suppose I'll shoot myself in the foot here. If by selling the clothes of something you disagree with (i.e. hippies and their views) to make a quick buck, isn't that exploiting? Ha ha. Well hell, I don't know.
I suppose when all is said and done and there isn't a person or group for you (whoever you are) to take your anger out on. And everyone wants to give each other there long lists of personal rules that they believe will save the world, there is only rule I totally agree with "do unto others as you would have them do to you..." I'm not trying to preach here, and I'm the farthest thing from a religious person, but I think that's the most important rule to live by, the golden rule.
Mr. Orange

Return to Open Forums