What was your VERY 1st psych. music-listening experience?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

What was your VERY 1st psych. music-listening experience?

Postby psychhead on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:49 am

8) :D :twisted: :roll: :!:
I listened to my VERY FIRST psychedelic song when I was about 2 and a half yrs. old!!!! Only that I didn't know it was 'psychedelic' at the time (and even when I listened to it some yrs. later!!!!!). The song was, believe it or not (!): STORMY WEATHER on my family's old 78 rpm!!!!!! Yes, for me, this song has that psych. touch to it (you know, the megaphone/filtered voices, etc.) In his book "Knights of Fuzz:....", Timothy Gassen traces the origins of psychedelic music back to the late 50s, but I think the whole psych thing began earlier in the 20s and 30s with songs like SW and other megaphone-oriented songs!!!!!!
Listen and learn!!!!!!!!

Rob
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:47 am

My first Psych experience was when I was just a little girl listening to the car radio with my mother and a song by Johnny Mathis called (I think) "Wonderful" would always be on. It reminded me of Mermaids swimming in the ocean, maybe it was the background vocals or music but I always thought about mermaids when this song came on! I still smile when I hear that song! :D

Postby Lilla on Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:01 am

The very first psych music I've ever heard was 'Somebody to love', but this wasn't really conscious - it was only two years ago, and I didn't know that this music called 'psychedelic'.
The first psychedelic album I really wanted to have (and I got) was 'A Saucerful Of Secrets' by the Pink Floyd, and then 'The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn'. I don't have to to tell you that two albums definitely changed my world, do I? :P
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

What was your very 1st psych. music-listening experience?

Postby noelpne on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:45 pm

Hey, Lilla - Two of my favourite Floyd albums are the hard-to-find on C.D.
( er, any ideas ?) - "More" & "Obscured by Clouds" - that came out just
before "Meddle". Both have that dreamy, ethereal quality too, on a fair
number of tracks. I wish I could get them on C.D. :?:
Personally I got disenchanted with the Band after "Dark Side" & sold my
copies of WYWH & Animals- I found Roger Waters so depressive. :cry:
noelpne

Postby Fidel on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:27 pm

"Cymboline" from the More album was a regular in 1970-71 Floyd shows. I too, lost interest after Dark Side (which was performed as "Eclipse" live before the album came out).
Fidel

Postby moonshadow on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:22 am

mine would probobly would have been when my mom dragged me into her room to listen to "we can be together", and "Volunteers". Everyday after school I would go upstairs, turn the record player up as loud s I could and listen for hours on end.
"A hero is someone who gives their lives to something bigger then themselves"
-unknown
moonshadow

Postby SurrealisticPillowChild on Fri May 13, 2005 12:03 am

Lilla wrote:The first psychedelic album I really wanted to have (and I got) was 'A Saucerful Of Secrets' by the Pink Floyd, and then 'The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn'. I don't have to to tell you that two albums definitely changed my world, do I? :P

Those albums are amazing, definately classics :D
trip
trip
to
a
dream
dragon
SurrealisticPillowChild

Postby BlackCladLizard on Sat May 14, 2005 11:56 am

Ugh hating to admit it but it was Tomorow Never Knows of the Beatles that set me towards psych music. I soon discoverd the wealth of psych music i have yet to conquer. ( yeah i know this thing doesnt have spell check )
BlackCladLizard

What was your VERY 1st psych music -listening experience ?

Postby noelpne on Mon May 16, 2005 9:28 am

BlackClad Lizard - I'm no Beatles 'fan' ( I've only copies of SPLHCB &
Revolver ) - but why the reluctance to admit this liking of the track?

The track 'Tomorrow never knows' on Revolver contains words from
Timothy Leary's "Psychedelic Experience" with a swirling mass of sound
that just seems to ooze LSD.
noelpne

Re: What was your VERY 1st psych music -listening experience

Postby Whenheco on Mon May 16, 2005 10:13 am

noelpne wrote:BlackClad Lizard - I'm no Beatles 'fan' ( I've only copies of SPLHCB &

I was listening to some Beatles songs yesterday, and was thinking to myselve "Hey, they actually have quit some good songs". Sure most of it are catchy pop songs, but nothing to be ashamed at.
My first psych music experience : I wouln't know. Was listening to songs from that era since i was young but never classified it as psychedelic music, till i got older and learned what the term meant 8)
Whenheco

Re: What was your VERY 1st psych music -listening experience

Postby Guest on Mon May 16, 2005 11:40 am

Whenheco wrote:
noelpne wrote:BlackClad Lizard - I'm no Beatles 'fan' ( I've only copies of SPLHCB &

I was listening to some Beatles songs yesterday, and was thinking to myselve "Hey, they actually have quit some good songs". Sure most of it are catchy pop songs, but nothing to be ashamed at.
My first psych music experience : I wouln't know. Was listening to songs from that era since i was young but never classified it as psychedelic music, till i got older and learned what the term meant 8)

I just wanted my first psych experience to be more special than the over popular Beatles. Sure they have the greatest songs in the world that can catch your attention in a minute but its so typical. Im not ashamed to like that song. I love it! Really! Its just that the Beatles are so commercial. I would have wanted the first psych that i herd to be something like Traffic's "Hole In My Shoe". Some songs dont even have to be over done like Tomorow Never Knows. The song Good Day Sunshine is such a song about being on good Chronic Weed. I think that cause it looks like Paul prefers weed over any other drug. Some songs you dont get that they are drug related till youre high yourself and you realize "hey thats what i feel right now".

Postby BlackCladLizard on Mon May 16, 2005 11:42 am

by the way that was me as guest i forgot to log in :P
BlackCladLizard

Postby baronvonjack on Tue May 17, 2005 3:42 am

trying to cast my mind back all those years ago
a couple of songs stand out
the mamas and papas Creque Alley was the first song i recall.
not really understanding all the lyrics but knew there was something going on in that tune.
the small faces with itchy coo park
who knew it was a drugy trippy song .
not me mate
not when i was 10 years old singing along to it on the radio
well i have come along way since then.
:D
hurry up sleep take me
else i'll be late for tea
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Return to Open Forums