About songwriting

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: About songwriting

Postby plasticfantastic on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Good job on those lyrics.

I love writing songs. I have probably twenty or thirty-something now, even though I only have about ten that I'm really happy with. As for inspiration, I can write anytime, but I can only write something good when it just comes into my head, already partially written. All of my best songs have happened that way. Usually it's music, and then I just have to write some lyrics.

What do I write? That's a tougher question... I've written a lot of depressing songs, although I'm among the cheeriest people I know of. I write songs from other people's perspectives, often. I've never written an actual love song. After a lousy social year at school, I've written a lot about isolation, both its benefits and its more obvious disadvantages, along the pain that can come when you're ignored for no reason.

Then again, I also have written much less depressing stuff, which comes a lot more naturally to me (given that I'm not in the least depressed). It's hard for me to say what those are about. Many are just heavy on imagery, odd sorts of emotion, really more poems than lyrics. I just set them to music. I've written about the world in general, and the state of things, with war included.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby plasticfantastic on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:46 pm

I don't really need relaxation or pressure to write, necessarily. It depends. As I said (or meant to say...), inspiration comes on randomly and quickly for me. I'll just be doing whatever I'm doing, and then I'll suddenly have a line in my head. Then I just have to expand from there.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby oldblue on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 pm

it's all about tension
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Return to Open Forums