What Do You Guys Know About Vinyl?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: What Do You Guys Know About Vinyl?

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:34 am

I'd heard that they made LPs thinner to reduce the risk of warping, but that was probably just the advertising people trying to make cost-cutting look like a great advantage to the consumers.

I've got an A3440 again. Someone gave me one free last year. They're great for jotting down musical ideas, and you just transfer the result to cassette and reuse the tape. They're not much good for editing, though. I guess this really shows my age...

(OKD, I used to think that if you spilt tea on a record, the music would wash off!)
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby nicktecky on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:16 am

CD v Vinyl:
A CD makes a great coaster for a nice big breakfast coffee mug... and you can stick it in the dishwasher...and play it afterwards!
OK I made this up, but I'm going to try it. Now to find a suitable CD.

(SB - A 15ips open deck r2r just to jot things down... how cools is that. Chapeau ma brave!)
8)
nicktecky

Postby okeedoe on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:09 am

Yes, a legendary well known relation between the English and tea.Of course,dear Sue, being an English you are much more refined than I am.For example,a rural Serbs(I'm only a lousy half of a Serb) used to think that plum brandy(slivovitz) and garlic are the best cures for all diseases.If you add a pound of bacon to it, you'll get a perfect traditional combination that has a mythological proportions.I also remember my grandma used to use a plum brandy to clean the windows in spite of my grandfather's protests.

I wonder what would happen to a vinyl if I treated it with brandy,bacon and garlic.I''ll let you know if I perform the experiment.
Last edited by okeedoe on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby Egg Crisis on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:49 pm

usedtobebabson wrote:No wear like vinyl and CD. Yes the laser doesn't touch the CD, but I have had scratched ones. Hmm disk read errors is possible I guess.

I've got cd's I made just 5 years ago that are unreadable now, and I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. A hard drive full of data stored safely in a cupboard will suffer from "data fade" in 10 years. On the other hand I've played reels of tape that were over 50 years old and sounded excellent, and a well-looked after vinyl will still sound good centuries in the future. Although more convenient, newer technology isn't always best.
Egg Crisis

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:16 am

The worst tapes are those made in the Eighties that go "sticky" after a while. But I've got tapes from the Sixties that are still fine. Albums and 45s... I'm sure some will be fossilized! Which means that some fragments of sound from the 20th Century could last a hundred million years or so.
Susan Butcher

Postby nicktecky on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 am

Sorry SB, creep will destroy any vinyl unless you can arrange to keep it in a (very deep) freezer, although who'll pay the bills for 100m yrs?
nicktecky

Postby okeedoe on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:17 am

Now I am very interested.So if you'd be so cooperative and tell me what should I do about the problem ,Nicky ?What's the best thing to do ? I've got mu stuff backed up both on DVDs and external hard disks.
Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:29 pm

vinyl is the bees knees
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby Egg Crisis on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:The worst tapes are those made in the Eighties that go "sticky" after a while. But I've got tapes from the Sixties that are still fine. Albums and 45s... I'm sure some will be fossilized! Which means that some fragments of sound from the 20th Century could last a hundred million years or so.

Yeah! I'd not thought about that. In the future they'd be able to x-ray the fossilised remains and use whatever computers they have then to analyse the grooves and retreive the music. On the other hand they'd not be able to recover anything from the remains of a cd or a hard drive. They'll wonder what heppened to our civilization as from archaeological-audio records it'll look like we just vanished at the end of the 20th Century.
Egg Crisis

Postby nicktecky on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:02 pm

what's the problem, okd?
<EDIT>
Sorry, that's a bit abrupt, I meant to say could you be a little clearer what you want help with, if I can, I'll be glad to :oops:
<EDIT>
Sorry chaps, but vinyl creep will kill albums long before archaeologists need to be called in.
(Oh dear that's a repeat!)
And the Internet is immortal, therefore so is data.
nicktecky

Postby Egg Crisis on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:43 am

I've never heard of "vinyl creep" (and a google search just finds people's usernames & nothing useful), but if a fish's fin or something as fragile as a butterfly wing can be fossilised then a piece of plastic would survive with no problem at all.
Egg Crisis

Postby nicktecky on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:46 am

Vinyl creep: Yes, I can imagine Google having fun with that!
Now you've got me, I thought I had read it in the "Gramophone Record" wiki entry, but I have been surfing back and forth over a few articles, and now can't find the reference.
So I'll rely on general principles in that LPs are made from a thermoplastic which will deform over time. We've all seen it, if you leave an album out in the sun, or over a radiator or fire, especially at an angle, it will warp. Well, it will do it at room temperature, just more slowly. And at extreme ages it will deform under its own weight, so the grooves will slowly distort. Pitch does a similar thing but more quickly.

Strictly speaking creep is a metallurgical term, it occurs when crystals within the body of the metal slide against each other. It is very specifically a long term deformation.

In that same wiki article, Laser groove scanning and the IRENE scanner are described.

Also interesting in a tecky (not interesting really) way is how the pre-emphasis and equalisation used in mastering vinyl disks wasn't standardised. That is the first I heard of such a thing, and is quite a shock. Even different plants being different one to another!
nicktecky

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 pm

On the fossil thing, it doesn't matter too much if the plastic creeps over time, it'd be the boundary between the plastic and hardened mud that would count. Vinyl's also pretty hard once the plasticiser has leached out. In any case, that objection wouldn't apply to shellac discs.

(Useless information, seems to fill my head with nothing that I need.)
Susan Butcher

Postby nicktecky on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 am

OK SB, you got me! If a vinyl disk was lost under clay so fine that it made a cast of the LP, then there would be an ammonite-like impression on each of the two halves, ready to be split open. More geologist than archaeologist, but quite poetic. 8)

(Thinks: I hope Grace is on it, it would be a shame for the aliens to miss out!)

...mmm,

Wait a minute, wouldn't the LP float? So how could it get there,...aha, I think I see through your devious plan Moriarty!! :twisted: :lol:
nicktecky

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 am

Do LPs float? I've washed quite a few, but my sink wasn't big enough to tell. It wouldn't float if it was in a mud puddle under a pile of rubbish. However, you'd only get an impression of one side. Chances are, it'd be Mantovani...
Susan Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums