hot tuna

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

hot tuna

Postby Bill on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:26 pm

i just bought tickets for hot tuna on june 5th!!!! i cant wait
-Bill
-Bill
Bill

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:59 pm

Cool... you get to see the electric side. I'll be seeing them in May and July, but just the acoustic side. The electric side really rocked at the Beacon Theatre last fall.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:21 am

hey,

im just getting into hot tuna and i was wondering if u guys had any "starter" songs.

Postby Bill on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:32 am

just pick up Burgers if you want to get into Hot Tuna. also Jorma's solo (all acoustic!!) album Quah is amazing and is a similiar sound to acoustic hot tuna.
-Bill
-Bill
Bill

Postby JPPMcStepBBlues on Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:37 pm

I saw them in November and will be seeing them in July as well. Right now they have this mandolin player named Eric Mittendorf ( I am pretty sure that is the name but you can check the Tuna web site to check) and he is amazing. He solos on the thing lik it was an electric guitar, it blew my mind. But the shows were awesome and so were Jack and Jorma.

As for starting with Hot Tuna, you should just get each album from the beginning, they are all good. Defiantly start with the acoustic though, I like it better than the electric persoanlly. My favorite acoustic song that they do is probably Mann's Fate, so if you can find that, I think you will like it.......Jack and Jorma play really well on it.
If you were a cloud and you sailed up there,
You sail on water as blue as air;
You'd see me here in the fields and say,
"Doesn't the sky look green today?"
JPPMcStepBBlues

Postby gTarFreak on Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:36 pm

Close. It's Barry Mitterhoff on mandolins and mando-birds (the electric version) and Eric Diaz on drums. Yeah, with Barry on the mandobirds it's like another lead guitar. For those in or near NJ, the acoustic Stone Pony show on July 26th has been cancelled and re-scheduled as an outdoor acoustic-ELECTRIC show on July 15th. There's talk of a CD or DVD from the recent set of electric shows. They're definitely back to rockin'...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby ceangle on Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:37 am

I saw Jorma and Barry at the Tin Angel in Philly. Barry taught Parker Posey how to play mandolin for the movie A Mighty Wind! Just a little trivia for you guys! Awesome movie, for anyone who has seen those "comeback for one night only" PBS folk specials. It's a great "mockumentary" on just that. I recommend it highly!! Did anyone catch the 60's revival one night only special? It had Roger Maguine (from the Byrds), The dude with really bad hair from 3 Dog Night and Eric Burden (from the Animals) I thought he looks alot like Grandpa Simpson if you ask me! I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry!
ceangle

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:55 pm

Hot Tuna is scheduled to play here, at the Fillmore West. I just read about this show yesterday and i plan on going. I only have Burgers, so thats all the music i know by the band. But a friend told me id be missing out if i didnt go.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby Fidel on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:59 am

If you want a good helping of Electric Tuna, get the albums America's Choice (my favorite) and Hoppkorv. They'll be playing a lot from those on the electric set.
Fidel

Return to Open Forums