Monterey Pop

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Monterey Pop

Postby Box Of Rain on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:39 pm

Hey all,

Anybody out there have the Monetery Pop video? I was considering grabbing it but figured I'd ask around and see if it was worth my cash. I remember someone mentioned something to me about during the airplane playing "Today", the camera stays on Grace playing keyboards even though Marty is singing? Is this true? If so, it might explain the whole "organ" thing in the Surrealistic Pillow liners I've been puzzling over so long...

Peace.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby Whenheco on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:03 pm

I've been thinking of buying the complete monterey festival too. Although i was a bit bummed that some of the bands weren't complete filmed (only Otis and Jimi's concerts are complete) it would still be a lot of footage.
Amazon.com ratings are verry good 8)
Amazon link
Whenheco

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:37 pm

I just ordered it last night, it's supposed to be here Friday. I'll let you know...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:01 am

I own it and it's amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.

The Otis performance is unreal.

Postby caseyjames on Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:05 am

And for some reason, I wasn't logged in when I posted that reply.

Anyways, get the Complete Monterey Pop now!
Le coeur sait quand la recherche est par-dessus.
caseyjames

Postby Lilla on Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:11 pm

I will get the complete Monterey Pop Concert in one week!! I've been waiting for this for months !!!!! :D
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby Fidel on Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:15 pm

JA plays an excellent set at Monterrey. I've had a soundboard audio tape for ages. It is very disconcerting on the video of "Today" to see the camera on Grace the entire song while Marty is singing. In an ineterview, Marty said he wasn't too thrilled about it either!
Fidel

Postby liltawen on Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Monterey Pop was the real thing filmed as it was happening in '67. When the SF scene was just beginning to move beynd the Bay Area and discover the rest of the world (and the rest of the world discover them!). It was filmed at exactly the right moment.
I have always thought that Monterey Pop is the way to do things right and Woodstock is the way to do it wrong (don't even go into Altamont!).
Joel Selvin is suppost to have written a book about it but I have never seen it.
liltawen

Postby nickwishkah on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:39 pm

I taped it off BBC Four a few years back. Otis Redding, Ravi Shankar and Hugh Masekela play very well. I guess it is the short DA Pennebaker film you're talking about. If so then there's not enough genuine SF music if that's what you're interested in. From memory there's too much Mamas and Papas, Jimi Hendrix's playing was not up to scratch though its great to watch the legendary burning of his guitar and his gymnastic rolling whilst playing, there's no grateful dead, not enough janis joplin or country joe. But the couple of jefferson airplane songs are good particularly today which does have grace playing organ on it. Very eerie with the light show. One of my favourite moments is eric burdon and the animals playing paint it black with the light show in the background, it just seems to show that there was genuine experimentation at the festival and it wasn't just hijacked by the predictable pop acts like the mamas and papas. Though, of course, it was organised by John phillips so i'm going to leave the mamas and papas alone now...
sorry for rambling (again)...

Nick
nickwishkah

Postby gTarFreak on Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:46 pm

I just got the new release, which contains a lot of additional material, although on first listen the sound quality is not quite as good as the original movie part, on the DVD. But there is the complete Hendrix and Otis Redding performances. If you can't find the listing on the internet, I'll try and list it when I get home. Unfortunately there's still no Dead, and they stuck in 5 (yes 5) Tiny Tim numbers, backstage!

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Box Of Rain on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:48 pm

Thanks for all your replies, everyone.

I did a quick search on amazon and found a DVD of the festival, but it's a box set with Hendrix and Redding complete sets added. Anybody know if there's just a DVD release of the original festival? I mean, Otis and Jimi are great and all, but I'm not a particularly rabid fan (I get most of my R&B via Motown, and I was never into the whole guitar-god thing) and it's like, 60 big ones for the box set.
Box Of Rain

Postby gTarFreak on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:51 pm

The box set also contains a DVD with other performances. I remember one by the Airplane, one by the Association, I think there's more from the Who. I'll post the complete list when I get home. When I did a search for it last week all I saw was the box set.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby gTarFreak on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:55 pm

Ok, here's the outtake performance CD:

Day 1
1) The Association - "Along Came Mary"
2) Simon and Garfunkel - "Homeward Bound"
3) "Sounds of Silence"

Day 2 (afternoon)
4) Country Joe and the Fish - "Not-So-Sweet Martha Lorraine"
5) Al Kooper - "(I Heard Her Say) Wake Me, Shake Me"
6) The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - "Driftin' Blues"
7) Quicksilver Messenger Service - "All I Ever Wanted To Do (Was Love You)"
8 ) The Electric Flag - "Drinkin' Wine"

Day 2 (evening)
9) The Byrds - "Chimes Of Freedom"
10) "He Was A Friend Of Mine"
11) "Hey Joe"
12) Laura Nyro - "Wedding Bell Blues"
13) "Poverty Train"
14) Jefferson Airplane - "Somebody To Love"

Day 3
15) The Blues Project - "Flute Thing"
16) Big Brother And The Holding Company - "Combination Of The Two"
17) Buffalo Springfield - "For What It's Worth"
18 ) The Who - "Substitute"
19) "Summertime Blues"
20) "A Quick One While He's Away"
21) The Mamas and the Papas - "Straight Shootin'"
22) "Sombody Groovy"
23) "San Francisco"
24) "I Call Your Name"
25) "Monday, Monday"
26) "Dancing In The Street"
27 - 30 Tiny Tim - Actually there's only 4, it just seems like more if you can't find the remote.

Defintely worth the extra dineros...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby MARK on Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:31 pm

You've NEVER seen Monterey Pop!!!???
I stood out in the cold waiting in line for hours outside the Kips Bay theatre in NYC when it came out (and did that three times ... remember there were no video stores back then) and you haven't seen it?
It was the start (along with later listening to BiPLH) of my love affair with the Airplane (greatest version of High Flying Bird ever).
You must buy the movie now.
ENJOY!
- Mark
MARK

Postby Box Of Rain on Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:56 pm

Alright, after all this enthusiasm, I can't really say no. I'm just going to have to get it. Now. So I think I'll be trotting over to amazon now, heh.

Thanks everybody.
Box Of Rain

Next

Return to Open Forums