Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Postby nicktecky on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:I'm a Susan Calvin. I love machines. They are the closest thing I have to children.

Another Asimov freak!!!

The master, but I also love Robert Heinlein.
nicktecky

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:27 pm

SuperSlick66 wrote:I bet all of your record's will play fine. All of mine work except for a 45 I have and it skips, but it's extremely old and worn. I love the album covers too! I don't have this one, but Surrealistic Pillow has a sweet cover. :D And I think Elvis's first cover is amazing. I even think The Clash tried to copy that cover.

If iTunes wants to make money they better put some Grace on there :!:

Janis does touch people with her music. I think that Jim,Janis,Jimi and Elvis all wrote/used songs that applied to them personally which gave them more of a reason to sing it. Especially when you watch them perform you can tell how much a song really meant to them by the way they moved and expressed it.

I hope they will. :) I know some of the records I have are a bit scratched, but it's okay with me. Most of them are in good condition, from what the guy said to me. Oh, and also, if you want to get more Airplane records, just let the record store people know that you'd like to buy a few, and to let you know when any of them come in. I did that before and that's how I got a lot of my records. They looked out for stuff for me. :)

Surrealistic Pillow...that's my all time favorite CD. I play it almost all the time. It has such an amazing collection of songs. They all flow so well together. It's like living in a dream. Except my only complaint is that Plastic Fantastic Lover would have sounded great on Bathing At Baxter's. I think JPP McStep B Blues sounds so good for the album. But that's just me, lol.

Yeah, the way a person looks when they sing a song is very telling of how personal it is. The more passionate they are, I find the more they tend to move in these very intense, deliberate moves. Like if it's an angry song, their eyes get a bit more squinty and their hands get sort of bunched up in a fist or something.

And yes, iTunes needs Grace Slick's music. I'd buy it. :)
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Ohh, if you have little scratches they should still play fine. :D I guess it could depend on what needle your record player has but I doubt it. Just put a penny on your needle to weigh it down if any of your albums skip. That might/should work :)

OMG! I didn't think of asking the desk! Stupid me!! Aghh! I'll be sure to do that! The store has hundreds of dollar vinyls stacked on the bottom of shelves but they are unorganized so I'd have to go through all of them to see if they had Jefferson Airplane. I'm thinking about doing that one day. It might takes ages though.

Sorry to talk about Elvis some more but you can totally tell that he was passionate for the song An American Trilogy. He sings it with so much emotion. Everyone in the audience must of felt that electricity he made. And I think Janis Joplin singing Ball and Chain has the same affect.

I don't know which JA album is my favorite. I really love Surrealistic Pillow too...hm. I always have a hard time picking favorites.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:24 am

Oh, wow, I didn't know about the penny thing. I'm totally out of sync on the record player thing, so I have no idea what to look for in a record player. What's good, what's bad, what to look out for, etc. So thank you. :D And yeah, asking the people beforehand really helps. And many of them are more than happy to help with a customer, so it shouldn't be too hard. Try calling them or if you go down there, just ask. :)

Surrealistic Pillow is my favorite album because it was my first. I was new to JA in May 2008, and I didn't even know of this forum at the time, so I had no idea which CD to buy. I just went with Surrealistic Pillow since it had both Somebody To Love and White Rabbit on it AND it wasn't a greatest hits album. And I totally fell in love with it that week. Listened to it nonstop. Even in my dreams it would be playing. All that summer...fuck, the nonstop playing of that CD. Funny how I never got sick of it, eh? To this day, that CD reminds me of that time in my life. It sounds dumb since it was only over 2 years ago, but believe me...how things change so quickly...

And it's perfectly okay to go on about Elvis. A lot of people hear me go on about Grace, so it's not like I'm new to this :lol:. And Elvis did have a lot of soul in his music, as did Janis. Janis...oh Janis. How I love thee. I've thought of naming any future daughter after her, but decided I wanted a baby named after Grace more. So I think any future dog I buy will be named Janis. xD
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:48 am

lol Glad I could help with the penny idea. :mrgreen: I should sometimes use my own advice.

Whenever I go to the record store...which actually isn't a record store, but a book store with records (My dream world. I can be in there for hours) I'll ask about the JA. Elvis was recently restocked. I'm wondering if an Elvis fan died and their children sold their records to the place, which is fine on my part. :D

I completely understand about not getting sick of Surrealistic Pillow! I'm like that with tons of CD's and songs. I've been listening to Suspicious Minds for 11 years and it's still a favorite song. :) I think that's how I'm going to be with Jefferson Airplane, especially White Rabbit. It's one of those songs that when you hear it, you get stuck into it. <3 But I sort of jumped into being a JA fan. It was totally Grace that captured me and she quickly became an obsession, and I only have 3 obsessions on people. So it's 'rare', I guess (she my newest). But I just listened to every song possible by them, or tried too when I first became a fan. It took me a while to start liking Marty though. But now I love his voice. It's different. :)

Always rant about Grace!! I'm sure you know many more stories about her than I do. So whenever there's the chance to talk about her go for it! I would. :wink: I love Janis too, but I never got to read on her personal life. She's on my biography list for reads. WHAA! She just popped up on my shuffle play list. lol YAY!! Anyway, I want to name daughter after Grace too. I BETTER get a girl. lol...but I would probably have it her middle name because Joan would be her first. (1 of my 3 obsessions is Joan crawford...beast!). I think if you had 2 girls Grace and Janis would be neat together considering they were buds.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:58 am

Yeah, many times that'll happen. People list ads all the time for tons of records to be sold. So check out the newspaper, too, like I said before. Though I'm not sure about your area, but where I live I always see tons of ads for records being sold. :)

Marty is an amazing singer, I love his voice. Love it so much more compared to Mickey Thomas. I don't mind Mickey, don't get me wrong, but every time I hear Grace and Marty sing, it's like my ears are falling in love with their voices. Mickey sort of over-dominated Grace. It seems things were okay at first, but in the 80s, I noticed him a lot more...singing louder than Grace in songs that were hers, or singing over her in songs where she sang. I don't mind their 80s music, but I do mind how much he dominated over her. In this one video, Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonight, they barely focused on Grace. As one person said in the comments, "Poor Grace looks so bored in her giant shoulder pads." It was insane. I can see why she thinks older people are horrible on stage and whatnot. That is just horrible treatment.

I don't exactly have a middle name I like that goes with Grace. But I sort of like Lorraine. Grace Lorraine? I don't know. Grace...something. Maybe Sunflower? I love odd names like that. Grace Sunflower or whatever. Hmm. Well, it would also depend on what my partner likes, too. But they're losing the fight on first name. We're having a daughter named Grace. :lol:
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:40 am

lol..im not sure about my area either. :O I shall find out!!

You just helped me a lot. I couldn't understand why I didn't really like a lot of JS songs and it's that exact reason you pointed out. That Mickey basically takes over. :P I don't generally like 80's music to be honest. I think most of it has artificial sounds. But that's is totally my opinion. It was hard for me to even listen to We Built This City and the only part I liked was Grace's singing part. I haven't even given more than 3 songs from JS in the 80's a go. Which I'll come a round to but the music doesn't appeal to me right now.

Odd names are always great. It's nice to be different. Sunflower actually is cool. lol, I went on a 'journey' today and picked a sunflower :D which might be a bad thing but it was almost dead so I didn't think it mattered. Yeah... Anyway, I love old names especially after classic actresses. I don't really know about actors, their names are bland. Except Elvis...:D I love his name. But for girls I love the names Rita (Hayworth) and Greer (Garson) too. They are different. :)
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:33 pm

Mickey is okay as a singer. He's really good, don't get me wrong. But when he's singing louder than Grace in White Rabbit or Somebody To Love, it sort of gets me pissed. It's HER song, not his. Marty did find with those songs, but not Mickey. Dominated her, he did. And also, I loved when Marty was in the band because he actually took an interest in Grace when they sang. There was no "I'm better than you" that I could sense. It was two people making beautiful music together. He actually faced her while they sung, and their movements on stage would be in reaction to each other. With Mickey, though, he rarely ever faced her. There are tons of photos where Grace is totally facing Mickey face on, but he's ignoring her. I actually had a dream once where I was Grace in the 80s and I went onstage feeling so numb and sort of out-of-place. Like I used up all my time out on stage and shouldn't be there anymore. It was a very weird dream, lol.

I love odd names, too. I have no idea what sort of name I like that goes along with Grace, though. Grace...Janis? Grace Elizabeth? I don't know. What names do you like?
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:56 pm

I don't listen to Mickey that much. I liked it a lot better with just Grace and Marty. They were cute performing together on stage. How could Mickey even ignore Grace!??! I thought that was impossible to do! :shock: I actually loved your dream!! That was really cool! Especially because you were Grace!!! <3 An now you have an understanding to why she stopped performing. I had one dream of Grace and I was at an art gallery and someone took me upstairs and there was Grace, as peaceful as can be standing by a selection of her art. We went for a walk around the gallery and talked a lot. I can't remember about what though. It's really a dream I love to think about because it was the closest I've ever been to her. I wish I could meet her. :(

Maybe go with Grace's middle name, Barnett. Or ever her maiden name because you said you liked odd names and Wing isn't too far out. I keep wanting to say Kelly as a middle name too but she's an actress, a very good one too. She even became a princess. But that may confuse people. Anyway guess what Grace Kelly's middle name is...Grace Patricia!! lol how strange!

I like the names, Joan,Scarlett (Gone with the Wind),Rita,Greer,Alice,Crystal (Crystal Allen was a character Joan played in The Women :D I've always loved that name), Loretta, Sadie, Marcia, Lucille, Vienna...that's all that's coming to mind right now.
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Those are wonderful names. :)

Yeah, maybe I should just go with her maiden name, Wing. Grace Wing. It's an interesting middle name, for sure. And it's a pretty name, I think.

I wish I knew why he ignored her the way he did. She's a beautiful woman. I hope the people who get to call her their friend or family member know just how precious she is. She's a wonderful woman, and I hope they enjoy every minute of her company. They are all so lucky to have her.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm gonna mush everything together.

Grace Wing would be a really cool name. I like it a lot, especially because of you-know-who. :) I don't know much about China, their daughter but they seem to have a really close relationship. That probably means a lot to Grace. Do you know much about China?

Do you have any more photos of Queen Elizabeth II? I'd love to see your favorites!! :D much appreciated. I haven't seen her smile yet.

LOL! Cyndi was flattered, I'm sure! Did she say anything to you?

I get that feeling with Grace and about losing her. It's going to hurt so much. :( I don't even want to think about that ever happening. Also with singer, Loretta Lynn. I always see magazine covers joking about her going to die and such and it's going to hurt me to see her go too. Strange to say this but there are ups and downs for loving a dead person.

Aww don't say that Grace didn't like what you sent! She probably loved it!! It must have stuck out with the stuffed animal and all.

Joan and Grace have a lot in common or it's just me making them have similarities, which sounds more accurate. I forgot to add this but they both did have sailor talk, which I always find werid coming from them. dunno. But Grace does have many vibes towards personality but I think they're are stronger than many others. I do see a lot of love in her. Even when she's singing you can see something spark inside.
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I don't know anything about China, other than she did a few movies and TV shows. Other than that, my knowledge of China is minimal. I don't know a lot on her at all, lol. The only information I know on her can be found in the book "Got A Revolution" by Jeff Tamarkin or whatever his last name is, lol.

I do have some photos I like of her. Here's a picture of her smile. It's gorgeous. :)

No, Cyndi didn't say anything to me besides "Get over here, doll" when we went to take our picture together. She smiled the whole time at me. A really big grin where even her eyes smiled, lol. It was cute.

Yes, it will hurt so much. But I don't like thinking about that. It's too much for me.

Hehe, but I'm sure Grace didn't like it. Honest.

It really confuses me when I get more than 1 feeling from a person regarding their personality. Because I always wonder which side of their personality is truest to who they are, lol. Maybe their true personalities are really just a mixture of both. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:24 pm

I read "I, Robot" when I was in my teens. I've always felt sad when when I think of robots. Poor things!

DO NOT STICK A PENNY ON YOUR GRAMOPHONE ARM! It'll just cause the needle to gouge plastic from your records. You need a new needle.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:14 am

Susan Butcher wrote:DO NOT STICK A PENNY ON YOUR GRAMOPHONE ARM! It'll just cause the needle to gouge plastic from your records. You need a new needle.

:o what about the type of player you have??? :D Mine works fine ever since my aunt told me to do that for a record, still great after 2 years. :/ But if it's for all players then thanks for the advice against my advice. :wink:

As an experiment maybe I'll try it on my nutcracker album :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by SuperSlick66 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:40 am

Howdy Patricia.

Darn, I guess we have the same info on China. I was just curious about her and wondering if she has any stories of Grace to share with us. I know a few that Grace shared about her but I kind of want it the other way around too. I guess since she isn't famous like her mom she doesn't catch the public's attention right away. Hmm thanks for the help. :)

I read what someone said on a different post saying Queen Elizabeth II isn't really that pretty...am I right? I can't remember if it was QE I or II they were talking about. But If it was the II then I disagree with them. She was gorgeous, imo. Maybe it's because she reminds me of someone. I just don't know who. :/ I remember watching a video of Joan meeting a Queen and so I just looked it up and it was QEII!! I don't remember where I saw the video but I do remember Joan being extremely respectful.

(This is what the website said) Joan was invited to meet QEII at a Royal Command Performance on 10/29/56, along with Marilyn Monroe, Anita Ekberg (pictured here to the right of Joan), and Arlene Dahl, among others.
Joan castigated the behavior of Marilyn : "The Queen is a lady, and expects to meet other ladies, but most of today's actresses can't even act politely... As her majesty came up the staircase, Monroe's hairdresser was still doing her hair. And the girl didn't even know how to curtsy." - lmao I love the quote.

AHH! I just looked up the video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6rSIz9EFgs if you want to see it. Joan is with the quy who is wearing the thickly framed glasses. And you can see her meet the queen at 0:59. :) <3 Glad to have seen the video before.

OMG! I think that was really sweet of Cyndi to say "Get over here, doll"!! awww! I don't know why but just putting myself in your shoes I think I would have been wide-eyed or something.

I'll have to yell at you if you honestly believe Grace didn't like your gifts to her!!! She probably has that stuffed animal near her pillow right now! :)

Oh yeah!! My mom saw Grace in 1983 when she was touring with JS. She told me that she wore pink/black striped, tight pants. lol :D but the thing that gets me is that my mom could care less that she saw her!!! :shock: AHH If I could do anything just to be in her shoes that day...
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums