Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:44 am

erik!! The greatest people in the world were insane. At least the one's that I think are the greatest were. :D

we are a young crowd. Strange...

Whoops Patricia..I accidentally wrote about slurpees on a different post. Wonder how I did that. :?: You share the name with a really great author...patricia highsmith. she's rather dark though.

I don't know how many I have. Not 200...less. But I've got tons of Elvis and he's expensive. :( I payed 20 bucks on his King Creole Album and his 1st one I payed 25. I only payed a dollar each for the 3 jefferson starship records! Why cant he be a dollar?!!?
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:53 am

I guess... If only I was a great famous person, then it'd be alright, and not confusing. And yes, we are indeed a young crowd.

Elvis is expensive, I think, because he's the King. I know I've come across some cheap Elvis albums though, I remember digging through a TON of them in an antique shop once, and randomly in the middle found my copy of Bless It's Pointed Little Head. It was a surreal moment. I don't have any Elvis records though, but I've considered getting some of his stuff, I just haven't been introduced yet. I might weird my parents out if I do, they're punks/metal heads, despite turning me onto The Doors and Jethro Tull.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:06 am

Haha! Its the opposite with me. I'm was really only happy to listen to 40s and 50s music but one day I jammed to the 60s and realized Jefferson Airplane was a fantastic band. :D Then made Grace my 3rd obsession. :) So some people still think its strange that I like 60's music. :/

Elvis is really great. But if you like psychedelic music it might be hard for you to enjoy him. I think his album From Elvis in Memphis is so raw. I mean, his voice just gives me goosebumps that its so good. He has a godly voice.
[img]
http://shop.elvis.com.au/images/cd_from ... _cover.jpg[/img]
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:17 am

Wow, I don't know of any teenagers whose parents played primarily music from the 40s and 50s. That's cool!

And I do know Elvis has an amazing voice, he really was a god. Just from what I know about him, which I know is not nearly enough, he really was uncomparable. I mean, just from what I know about his touring schedules and shows, he was one of the greatest performers ever, if not the greatest. And I don't just like purely psychedelic, I love all forms of music, rock, blues, jazz, jazz/fusion, progressive, classical, R&B, soul, folk, (some) pop, funk, punk, metal, everything, except perhaps rap and most country since the 70s. I've confused a lot of people with my music tastes... So I think I'll really like Elvis.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:40 am

lol ohhh no no...it was my choice to listen to old music. I wasn't raised into it. My mom listens to "todays" music. That's cool that you have such a variety of music. I don't really mind anything, it depends on what I'm in the mood for when i want to hear something.
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Well that's even more of a surprise! That's really cool that you listen to music from that era on your own, most teenagers wouldn't give that type of stuff the time of day, unless maybe they were raised into it, and even that's a slight chance. I really admire that about you. I kinda annoy my mom sometimes with the amount of "old rock" I listen to, she also prefers modern music, but only slightly.

By the way, Noelle, which Jefferson Starship albums do you have? Early Jefferson Starship is hard to define, some people consider Paul Kantner's solo stuff Jefferson Starship.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:53 pm

I wasn't raised on 60's music, either. My parents are more eclectic, like I am. I have a main love of 60's pop, psychedelic, and rock music. But I dabble into anything - foreign, 20s/30s music, 40s/50s music, 70's, 80s, some rock (like Rammstein is one of my favorite bands). So I don't have a particular genre that I like, I listen to mostly anything. The only things I don't enjoy is progressive rock, country, and rap music. ;)

I have some Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, and Starship records. Most were $2 and under. :mrgreen:

-Surrealistic Pillow
-Grace Slick & The Great Society (Collector's Item)
-Crown Of Creation
-Volunteers
-Manhole
-Red Octopus
-Spitfire
-Earth
-Knee Deep In The Hoopla

:D I love them. ^_^
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Isn't Earth a cool album? I love Take Your Time and Show Yourself...and Runaway. :D It might be my favorite Jefferson Starship record.

I typed my collection out a while ago and thought I'd post it here. You can tell who I focused on the most for my collecting. lol :D And I still don't have nearly all of his records!! Grr

Jefferson Starship; Earth - 1978
Various Artists; 15 Hits of the 50's Vol. 2
Loretta Lynn; I Like 'Em Country - 1966
Elvis Presley; Girl Happy - 1965
Jefferson Starship; Spitfire - 1976
Jefferson Starship; Red Octopus - 1975
Rita Remington; Coal Miner's Daughter - 1980
Elvis Presley; Double Dynamite! - 1975
Elvis Presley; TV Special - 1968
Jefferson Airplane; Volunteers - 1969
Marlene Dietrich; Songs In German by the Inimitable Dietrich - 1965
Elvis Presley; Elvis Sings Inspirational Favorites - 1983
Elvis Presley; This Is Elvis - 1981
Elvis Presley; Guitar Man - 1981
Elvis Presley; Our Memories - 1979
Elvis Presley; Moody Blue - 1977
Elvis Presley; His Hand in Mine - 1976
Elvis Presley; A Legendary Performer Vol. 2 - 1976
Elvis Presley; Pure Gold - 1975
Elvis Presley; A Ledendary Performer Vol. 1 - 1973
Elvis Presley; On Stage - 1970
Elvis Presley; Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite - 1973
Elvis Presley; That's The Way It Is - 1970
Elvis Presley; As Recorded At Madison Square Garden - 1972
Elvis Presley; Elvis Is Back - 1960
Elvis Presley; G.I. Blues - 1960
Elvis Presley; Paradise Hawaiian Style - 1966
Elvis Presley; Clambake - 1967
Elvis Presley; It Happened At the World's Fair - 1963
Elvis Presley; Christmas Album - 1970
Elvis Presley; In Person at the International Hotel - 1970
Elvis Presley; The Wonderful World of Christmas - 1971
Elvis Presley; You'll Never Walk Alone - 1971
Elvis Presley; Now - 1972
Elvis Presley; Burning Love and Hits From His Movies - 1972
Elvis Presley; Elvis Presley - 1956
Elvis Presley; Elvis - 1956
Elvis Presley; Golden Records - 1958
Elvis Presley; 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong - 1959
Elvis Presley; King Creole - 1958
Elvis Presley; Elvis In Concert - 1977
Elvis Presley; Worldwide Gold Award Hits, Parts 1&2 - 1974
Patsy Cline; The Patsy Cline Story - 1963
Elvis Presley; Rousrabout - 1964
Elvis Presley; I Got Lucky - 1971
Elvis Presley; Elvis's Gold Records Vol. 4 - 1968
Elvis Presley; A Canadian Tribute - 1978
Elvis Presley; Reconsider Baby - 1985
George Feyer; Echoes of Broadway - 1954
Tara's Theme From Gone With The Wind and Other Academy Award Film Scores
Beethoven; The Pastoral 6th Symphony - 1966
Bing Crosby; Merry Christmas
The Great Society; Conspicuous Only in its Absence 1966
Peter Pan Players and Orchestra; The Best From Walt Disney
The Philharmonia Orchestra; Nutcracker Suite - 1957
Various Artists; Super Country 85 of America's Greatest Country Stars
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:40 pm

I have other albums, too.

-Blue Angel (Cyndi Lauper's first band)
-Bebe Le Strange by Heart
-Pearl by Janis Joplin
-In A Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly

That's all the albums I have.

And I actually rarely listen to Jefferson Starship. I haven't exactly figured out why that is, but one day I should. I'm working on getting a record player, so once I get one of those, I should listen to Earth, Red Octopus and Spitfire :)

Jefferson Starship is a good band, though. I have heard some of their songs. I love Miracles because of how beautiful it is and the harmony between Marty and Grace.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby oldblue on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:49 pm

what no sun sessions by elvis aka the greatest album ever made. everyone is till chasing the king on that one.

dragonfly is much stronger and consistent than what came later
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby SuperSlick66 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:03 am

oldblue wrote:what no sun sessions by elvis aka the greatest album ever made. everyone is till chasing the king on that one.

Haha! I have the CD. I honestly know every Elvis song out there. That man was a genius but owning the vinyl you'd have to define what you mean by Sun Sessions. That album? Or the 45's that were released at Sun Studio..because I haven't a million dollars for one of them. :lol:

But tonight I went to see Elvis On Tour. It was a one night special playing in select theaters for his 75th anniversary and that was one of the greatest experiences of my life!! I never saw him on the big screen it was merely incredible!! Another amazing person was on the big screen tonight as well while I was watching it and she goes by the little name of Grace Fucking Slick...:D They showed 3 clips of her at Woodstock (no other bands for some reason) because the Elvis film was trying to say what the documentary was up for during 1972 since the Woodstock film was released in 1970. Seeing them both was fantastic...even though Grace doesn't like Elvis.

Record players are amazing! I love mine...it broke for a month than retrieved itself magically. But it looks like it's from the 40's and plays greatly. The sound of cracking vinyl is wonderful too<3.
Miracles is a great song. I listened to that album a few times. I like it but for some reason I like Earth the best...as of right now, it'll change later. I love the messages that Airplane/Starship put into their songs. It's nice when I have to think a little. :D

Patricia, you have awesome records! Those are going to sound great when you first play them. I want a Janis Joplin record so bad but just like JA, it's hard for me to get my hands on. I think that she sells quickly in my record store. :(
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:24 am

Oh, I LOVE Janis! I've always had a deep connection with her music, but within the past few months I've finally tracked down a vinyl copy of Cheap Thrills (which I cherish). It's a brand new re-issue, imported from the U.K, and it's beautiful. Sadly though, my record player has broken for the second time this year, and it has yet to magically fix itself.

As for my J.A records, I have two issues of Crown of Creation, one is an original first pressing with the black label, and is scratched, but the second one isn't scratched, but isn't a black-label pressing. I also have Volunteers, Bark, Long John Silver, Bless It's Pointed Little Head, The Worst Of (which is in PRIST-INE condition, and an original), and Blows Against The Empire, which is actually Paul Kantner & Jefferson Starship/P.E.R.R.O, but it can be considered Airplane. As for Jefferson Starship, I don't care for their latter stuff too much, but I do like the earlier stuff. Dragon Fly especially, I would love to get a copy of that album, it's a perfect album. That 1975-1978 line up of J.S I think was an amazing line-up, they worked really well together, almost as good as 1966-1970 J.A. Almost, though, only almost.

By the way, I also have In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, I like that album too. It's a bit surprising it was the first album to ever be awarded a platinum record, though.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 am

@ Noelle: I'm so glad you had a wonderful time at that movie of Elvis. :) Yeah, Grace doesn't like Elvis, lol. But it's cool she was in that film, though.

And the albums I have are in okay condition, I suppose. Though, to be honest, I have no idea how to tell if my albums are scratched or not. I only know I love the album artwork (particularly when they feature Grace in the picture :mrgreen:) and the songs listed on there. I have mostly all of JA's songs on my iPod, which I carry everywhere with me. :) JS's songs...I have a few, but not too many. I'm hoping to maybe get one of those record to CD copiers so that I can copy them on my iPod. Hopefully. If not, that's why they have iTunes.

Which, by the way, is annoying me now because iTunes NEVER carries anything of Grace's. Well, her solo work I mean. Like they had almost nothing of Rammstein a few months ago, but now they have all of their CDs available. Soooo I'm hoping maybe they'll one day get Grace's solo stuff on there to buy. :)

@ Erik - Janis is one of my favorites, too. I think a lot of people, whether they'll admit it or not, connect with Janis on a very deep, emotional level. She was very emotional in her style of singing, and that's what connects all of her to her fans. Her soul and spirit lives on in that sense. She'll never truly "die" because she is still very much alive in her music. It's like that with anyone - Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, etc. Their souls live on through the music they created and put out there.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby usedtobebabson on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 am

Wow! Small Faces and Itchicoo Park! Big obsession over the years. The Doors and Strange Days have found us, Strange days have tracked us down:) Humble Pie and 30 days in the hole. Donovan and Season of the Witch and Catch the wind. Big Brother & the Holding Co. Down on me and Ball & Chain. The Rolling Stones and Sympathy for the Devil. The Beatles and Twist and Shout. Cream - all. John Mayall and Room to Move. QMS and Who do You Love. Steve Miller Band and Your Saving Grace. Leon Russell and Just Another Ballad for a Soldier. Emmerson Lake & Palmer and Lucky Man. Procol Harem and A Whiter Shade of Pale. Bob Dylan and Blowin in the Wind. Moody Blues - all. PPM and If I Had a Hammer and Puff the Magic Dragon. etc, etc :D
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby SuperSlick66 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 pm

I bet all of your record's will play fine. All of mine work except for a 45 I have and it skips, but it's extremely old and worn. I love the album covers too! I don't have this one, but Surrealistic Pillow has a sweet cover. :D And I think Elvis's first cover is amazing. I even think The Clash tried to copy that cover.

If iTunes wants to make money they better put some Grace on there :!:

Janis does touch people with her music. I think that Jim,Janis,Jimi and Elvis all wrote/used songs that applied to them personally which gave them more of a reason to sing it. Especially when you watch them perform you can tell how much a song really meant to them by the way they moved and expressed it.
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums