Acoustic Songs

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Acoustic Songs

Postby BlackCladLizard on Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:38 am

Now that I think about it im really into songs like D.C.B.A. 25. The ones that give you an undiscribable feeling of relaxation and philosophical thoughts. The ones that give you feeling of laying on a hammock and looking into the sky. Just wondering and wondering. Or running in a field of grass with your best friends (the choice to be high is yours) laughing. The way I listen to Ventura Highway and wish I could be in a convertable driving up PCH to Oxnard. I love how some songs can transform you back into a eight year old. Wether it being a happy time or sad time but still the best time of your life that you will never get a chance to experience ever again.

In any case acoustic songs can make you feel several things (sometimes all at once). Tell me some of your favorites and what they make you feel. Here is some of mine but im sure I have lots more.

Beatle-In My Life
ELO-Strange Magic
George Harrison-My Sweet Lord
Jimi Hendrix-The Wind Cries Mary
Janis Joplin-Summer Time
Eagles-New Kid In Town
Nirvana-All of The Unplugged
Stone Temple Pilots-All Slow Songs
Ugh! Thats all I can think of. Ill put more later.
BlackCladLizard

Postby Don Rico on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:02 am

Yeah bro I dig where ya comin' from... Mellow is cool...

Only problem with yer list... They're not "acoustic"...

Maybe Nirvana, but... Just about everything else utilizes electric instruments...

Don't mind me... Just nit-pickin'...
Don Rico

Postby ceangle13 on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:39 am

If you like acoustic music like I do-(except all the new singer songwriter stuff) you need to check out Jorma Kaukonens' QUAH with Tom Hobson, or even a little melancholy Nick Drake- start with An Introduction to Nick Drake. How about David Crosbys' first solo album- They Don't Even Remember their Names (I just had a brain fart but I think thats the title) or is it I Don't Even Remember their Names? Although, not completely acoustic (has one or two electric tracks?) Definitely albums to have in your collection!
ceangle13

Postby BlackCladLizard on Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:45 am

I know those songs arent really acoustic. I should have pointed out that I like the acoustic versions of those songs.

The David Crosby album is one that ive been wanting to get for a long time now. I do belive that it is called "If I Can Only Remember My Name". Lots of critics cosider that to be a very psychedelic album. I do want to get kinda a meloncholy type acoutic album that sounds along the side of the Eagles/James Taylor. I have heard of Nick Drake and im willing to give him a try. I think that acoustic music is something you can listen to while in a mellow mood. Thanx ceangel13. Everytime I see your name I think candles.

I cant wait to hear from guitar freak (gtarfreak) I think and I hate Tracy Chapman. If anyone refers her ill kill!
BlackCladLizard

Postby Guest on Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:03 pm

HEY BLACK CLAD LIZARD- THATS THE TITLE OF THE ALBUM- THANKS! I HATE IT WHEN I CAN REMEMBER SHIT LIKE THAT! I WILL NEVER REFER TO TRACY CHAPMAN OR ANYONE IN HER GENRE OF MUSIC- BORING AND OVERRATED!!! IF YOU LIKE MELLOW DEFINITELY GET THE NICK DRAKE ALBUM- YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED! I'LL HAVE MORE TITLES LATER IF YOUR INTERESTED. CANDLES?

Postby Box Of Rain on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:32 am

Joni Mitchell's first album is totally acoustic... very dreamy and poetic, too. It's called "Song To A Seagull". I'd definitely give it a try. "Blue" by the same is also acoustic 95% of the time... a little more rollicky and upbeat, but still beautiful.

Judy Collins's "In My Life" album isn't exactly acoustic guitar oriented (It's more orchestrated stuff) but it's good... mostly a sleepy/hazy sorta mood, and it's got lots of touched like flutes and harp and stuff. It's a must-buy if you can find it.

And let's not all forget early acoustic Dylan. Long live the Bobster (So long as he doesn't make another bland-ass album to wreck his reputation, that is)!

Oh, and Leonard Cohen's about as mellow as a room full of people who've had a dozen each of magic brownies. Great Lyrics, too. "Songs From a Room" is his best, I think.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby gTarFreak on Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:05 am

Ok, some random thoughts....

Acoustic works on two levels for me. One is sheer guitar vrituosity, such as Jorma's Quah album or on the first Hot Tuna album. Or, any of Leo Kotke's albums. Actually, Jorma's second album, "Jorma", has some real nice songs, too, although there's electric guitars on it there's no drums or bass, so the songs come across as acoustic.

Then, on another level, there's the pure songwriting thing. Leonard Cohen is incredible, Tom Rush is another one in that league. Steve Goodman was all too short in this world, and John Prine has killer lyrics with such a wry, sardonic delivery.

Most people are probably familiar with the live, electric version of "24 Hours At A Time" by the Marshall Tucker Band, guaranteed to get you a speeding ticket if you're driving while listening to it. But the original studio version is a more laid back acoustic rendition that's absolutely out of this world to kick back and listen to on a porch in summer. I've also been listening to a lot of Fairport Convention, lately. Richard Thompson is another incredible guitarist. I've really got to find some of his solo stuff. And, next Friday, I'll be seeing David Bromberg in concert. Can't wait to hear what he's been up to. Ahhrrgg!, now I'm have to go down into the basement and start digging through the old albums and find some of the old gems I've forgotten about. Thanks alot, BCL! :x :wink:

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Bloodshed Bob on Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:13 pm

Just some additions:

- Robert Johnson (founder of the Delta Mississippi Blues back in the '20s, been covered many many times, f.e. by the Rolling Stones).

- José Feliciano (the Stevie Wonder of guitar, his acoustic versions of big hits are better than his own compositions)

- Django Reinhardt (most famous Belgian gitarist, gypsy music)

- Rosenberg Trio (also gypsy music, a bit more commercial but incredibly fast acoustic playing!!)

- Roky Erikkson (went healthy into a psychiatric clinic and came out insane! strange psychedelic (semi)-acoustic)
Bloodshed Bob

Postby Don Rico on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:49 pm

Box Of Rain, you nailed it with that first JONI MITCHELL album. An absolutely beautiful, pristine work of genius... I think it sounds best when listened to late, late night... At about 4:00 or 4:20 in the morning... It was produced by DAVID CROSBY, too!

ARLO GUTHRIE is another great. I recommend "Hobo's Lullaby" from 1972. The "hit single" from that one was Steve Goodman's "City Of New Orleans", a wonderful slice of Americana...

How 'bout SIMON & GARFUNKEL?
Don Rico

Postby BlackCladLizard on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:13 pm

Thanx! You guys are so nice :cry: I will look for all of those singers except:

Bob Dylan cuase I fuckin hate him and he cant sing and hes so arrogant.
Joan Baez she really sux!
and finally
Leonard Cohen cause hes so boring! Several people walked out on his concert.

Like Box of Rain said dreamy albums are also very good. like Pink Floyd See-Saw or Cirrus Minor. Those songs are great!

I wish I could plat all my records but the fuckin needle!
BlackCladLizard

Postby nickwishkah on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:54 pm

Gotta say i'm not sure you'll like Nick Drake if you want something James Taylor-y or Eagles-y. Nick Drake is English and middle-class and sounds it. I absolutely love his music but he has pretty much nothing in common with the Eagles and the music is far removed from James Taylor's style.

Also, you missed out TIM BUCKLEY!!! How could you guys do that?!? I love this guy's stuff: beautiful, haunting and romantic. My favourite album is 'Happy Sad'. Also want to second the Joni Mitchell suggestion by Box of Rain. As always a good choice.

I want to recommend SOLID AIR by JOHN MARTYN none of his other albums are consistently good but this album is flawless. Don't buy any of his albums till you have fallen in love with this one first otherwise you may never make the effort to listen to him. Very chilled out stoner folk-jazz.

Another man I want to recommend is Martin Carthy. English revivalist folk music but not like Fairport Convention or the Trees, it seems fairly untouched by rock music. For those of you who like Fairport Convention though Martin made an album with Dave Swarbrick originally titled SECOND ALBUM. Don't touch it if you hate traditional-sounding English folk. I love this though and Martin is a very nice man and willing to share his techniques and tunings. At least he was to me. He even pretended to enjoy talking to me, something that most "stars" don't do.

DAVE, i love Tom Rush and Richard Thompson. There's quite a lot of his solo stuff available over here. Is it hard to get in the US?

Nick
nickwishkah

Postby jonestown on Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:08 am

Yeah, when I'm in the mood, some good acoustic music really hits home -

A couple of my current favorites

Townes Van Zandt
Warren Haynes

and

Hot Tuna of course.
man oh man oh friend of mine
jonestown

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:28 am

nickwishkah wrote:
DAVE, i love Tom Rush and Richard Thompson. There's quite a lot of his solo stuff available over here. Is it hard to get in the US?

Nick

Actually, I could never decide on which one to get. Any recommendations to start out with?

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Guest on Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:50 am

My girlfriend's dad is really into him and that's the most of what i hear of him. the album i hear most is probably: "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight". It has vocals from Thompson's wife i believe. it is both intelligent and beautiful. Check it out. I think it's is where i'll start my own personal Richard Thompson collection. It's also been recently reissued i think. if you can get it then go for it! tell me what you think.

Nick

Postby Bill on Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:04 pm

how about: Things are better in the east- on baxters
-Bill
Bill

Next

Return to Open Forums