Block Chords

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Block Chords

Postby Box Of Rain on Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:12 am

Hey, any piano players out there?

I've been experimenting with the thing more than I used to recently, and I've heard Grace mention block chords about as much as I've heard her mention the importance of sarcasm... I've had a couple of people try to explain it to me, but I still don't think I ever really grasped exactly what you DO to play block chords.

Anyone know someplace on the internet where I could find a somewhat detailed explanation?

Thanks in advance. Peace.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby gTarFreak on Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:49 am

Not a piano player, but some others on this forum said it's just playing chords in a 'percussive' style. I think it was in the "Rejoyce" post. I did a quick web search and the closest I could find to a definition sort of confirms this, as it references blocked chords and arpeggiated chords as if they were opposites, and it matches with a lot of what Grace does when she plays piano. Did find one post that implied it was a chord played with both hands.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Box Of Rain on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:26 am

Thanks a million. Been trying to figure out what she's doing for awhile now. I've been working on playing Rejoyce, but so far all I've got is up to "I've got his Arm"... her piano playing is certainly unique, anyway. Kicks the hell outta Paul McCartney at least, as far as I'm concerned.
Box Of Rain

Postby Guest on Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:17 pm

gTarFreak wrote:Not a piano player, but some others on this forum said it's just playing chords in a 'percussive' style. I think it was in the "Rejoyce" post. I did a quick web search and the closest I could find to a definition sort of confirms this, as it references blocked chords and arpeggiated chords as if they were opposites, and it matches with a lot of what Grace does when she plays piano. Did find one post that implied it was a chord played with both hands.

Cheers,
Dave

It would be a similar effect of a downstroke on all the strings while playing your guitar. an example would be:
The (Right Hand) thumb=1, Index=2, middle=3, ring=4 pinky=5. For instance a C major triad or "block chord" would be 1=c, 3=e, 5=g. You play the 3 notes with your three fingers at the same time dropping your hand on the keys.

Hope that helps.
:)

Postby Box Of Rain on Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:01 pm

It certainly does. Thank you.
Box Of Rain

Return to Open Forums