Boxed Set Owners Come Forth!!!

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Boxed Set Owners Come Forth!!!

Postby BlackCladLizard on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:26 am

Man buying one album at a time is a drag. Especially if you buy one of those early 90s cds. I was thinking that I would skip all that by buying a boxed set with most of the bands studio recordings in it. To my surprise most of the boxed sets that I want were made in the early 90s. Ugh, and I dont want to buy one of those with the shitty sound quality. Can some one please come forth with some relife, if any! Or some new alternative newer boxed sets that I might have over looked.

I really wanted the Pink Floyd one but it was made in 92 :roll:
BlackCladLizard

Postby Don Rico on Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:33 pm

Is there really that much sound quality difference between discs from the early '90's compared to now? I mean as long as the tracks have been re-mastered?

Has there been great leaps in audio technology in the past ten years? I don't know...

Anyways don't listen to me... I think vinyl sounds better anyways...

8)
Don Rico

Postby Guest on Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:59 pm

vinyl all the way

Postby Serena on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:50 pm

i have the loves you box set(well, it's burned) and an elvis box set from the early 90's(previously owned.) i think the sound quality is still really good on those. i think they're still worth getting despite the age count.
Serena

Postby Whenheco on Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:43 pm

Don Rico wrote:Is there really that much sound quality difference between discs from the early '90's compared to now? I mean as long as the tracks have been re-mastered?

Has there been great leaps in audio technology in the past ten years? I don't know...

Anyways don't listen to me... I think vinyl sounds better anyways...

8)

They're really is a significant difference in sound quality if you take the early cd releases from JA, and the recent re-masters. Today people can re-master with 20 or even 24 bit precision instead of the 16 bit they did on the first cd releases. I’m not a technician so can't tell you about the exact details, but it basically means that less sound/music is lost in the transfer from the analog master tapes to the digital cd. Also they're are all kinds of filters to remove any flaws (hiss e.g.), that may be present on the original tapes. In the end you'll get a cd that is closer to the actual sound of the master tapes.
Whenheco

Return to Open Forums