2400 Fulton Street VS. Jefferson Airplane Loves You

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

2400 Fulton Street VS. Jefferson Airplane Loves You

Postby Box Of Rain on Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:44 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been asked about before, but I'll bring it up again...

One of my friends is having a birthday soon and he's big on the Airplane...he has the four big ones (Pillow thru Volunteers) on casette so I figured I definitely wanted to get him something in the way of the Airplane on CD...

So between the sets, what would you guys think is better? On the one hand, the box set has a lot more material and some rare live stuff, but it seems to be missing some key songs, and it repeats different versions of some tunes...

Fulton Street has less material, but it has MEXICO for Christ's sake. And how can you not like MEXICO?

Money's not really an issue, but I'm not sure about the sound quality differences between the two of them.

So what would you guys reccomend?
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby ceangle13 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:13 am

IF MONEY IS NO OBJECT THEN GET HIM BOTH! I HAVE THEM! LET YOUR FRIEND CHOOSE WHICH ONE HE WANTS TO LISTEN TO- ITS HIS BIRTHDAY! :D
ceangle13

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:59 am

I always buy albums whenever i can just cause ive always believed a good record sounds better then a cd....if i know ill listen to it in the car then i buy the cd, so I have 2400 Fulton on a 2 record set and the box set of Jefferson Airplane Loves You for the car, buy both lol
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby Don Rico on Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:37 am

I prefer "Flight Log"...

:wink:
Don Rico

Postby Box Of Rain on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:57 pm

You know, I actually remember my mom used to have flight log (way back when I was a wee one) on vinyl, I think. But I've got to agree it probably has the best track selection ever, specially since it's smart enough to include some of the Kantner/Slick solo stuff (Come again Toucan, I think, I know Sketches of China was there). I looked for it, but I can't find it anywhere.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:12 am

I just went to buy the " Loves You " box set for my gf and was told its now out of print. :( Pisses me off.....so in case your still looking for it, its ebay time, or comb the used music shops and find it used.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby jonestown on Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:21 am

Get your friend a copy of Live at the Fillmore East. It's compilation of songs from May 3 and 4, 1968.
man oh man oh friend of mine
jonestown

Postby Fidel on Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:40 pm

I don't like the mix of Fillmore East. The vocals are so up front you can barely hear the insturments.
Fidel

Postby Don Rico on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:46 pm

Right now I am listening to the JA LIVE FAVORITES disc that Jonestown was kind enough to send me.

Let me tell ya folks, THIS one is THA SHIT.

One thing I have noticed pertinent to what Fidel is saying, is that it is not necessarily a bad mix which renders that live Fillmore 5-3/4-68 unfavorable. You know, like with the vocals too loud and all...

It is like that on most all of the live recordings. Like Grace and Marty were just singing their ASSES off and it was loud enough to drown out the heavily amplified electrical instruments.

Them cats were BLOWIN'!!!
Don Rico

Return to Open Forums