Jim Capaldi passes...

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Jim Capaldi passes...

Postby gTarFreak on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:34 pm

Not a good month for drummers... Traffic drummer Jim Capaldi just passed away, age 60, of stomach cancer.

Dave
gTarFreak

RIP Jim Capaldi

Postby Mr. Orange on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:14 pm

No only was he one of my favorite drummers, I admired his skill greatly. He definately made Traffic's sound unique in his perception of rhythm.
RIP
Mr. Orange

Postby Don Rico on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:31 pm

What a drag!

No more "Vagabond Virgin"?

No more "Light Up Or Leave Me Alone"?

:cry: SAD... :cry:

God bless Mr. Capaldi!
Don Rico

Postby Spacepig on Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:11 am

So sad he was so cool, I saw him live in 1973 and 1994 and have "Let the Thunder Cry"

"Light Up Or Leave Me Alone" is one of my favorites
The Saga of Sydney Spacepig
Spacepig

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:17 am

What a sad lost, Traffic for some of us (including me) is one of my favorite bands. Jim was a great musician but alone was not as succesful as Stevie (I only like his first solo album S/T)

More than a drummer he was a musician as well, in fact live he stop playing drums since 1970 or something like that

Now I'm listening Jim Capaldi's Let The Thunder Cry: Deluxe Expanded Edition

What a sad fate of this band only Stevie Winwood and Dave Mason are alive but will never be together also the back-up musicians Rick Grech and Reebop have also passed on. Jim Gordon still in jail and will for the rest of his life

RIP Jim
Well the airplane's done it
No... It wasn't the airplane it was beauty killed the beast
VoodooChile in Wonderland

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:38 am

While listening Jim Capaldi's Let The Thunder Cry - Deluxe Expanded Edition I scanned this great shot of Traffic defintively one of my top ten bands in the 60s/early 70s

Postby BlackCladLizard on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:15 am

This is a horrible day for Capaldi and Traffic fans everywhere. I feel very sad cause I wanted to meet both Spencer and Jim in my life time to tell them that I really loved their music. :cry: I feel really bad cause all our classic rock heros are sucoming to "Natures Way". Here is something from the Steve Winwood site:

Traffic bandmate and longtime friend Jim Capaldi passed away this morning at 2 a.m. Capaldi was 60 years-old.

Of the passing of Capaldi, Steve said, "This is a loss to me of a lifelong dear friend and to the world of a great poet, songwriter and musician. I am proud to have been his writing partner on so many songs. Our sympathy is with his wife, Aninha, and his family at this time."
BlackCladLizard

Postby Don Rico on Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:04 am

Very sad stuff...

Maximum respect to the man JIM CAPADI.

Hey Voodoo... What did you mean about how Stevie and Dave will never be together? What is the deal there?

I do remember seeing the induction of TRAFFIC at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony, and while all the three surviving original members were present, the musical portion of TRAFFIC was DEFINITELY missing Mr. Mason.

What exactly is the deal? Those two just can't get along or what?

And what really happened with Chris Wood, anyways?
Don Rico

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:11 pm

Chris Wood and Reebop Kwaku Baah passed in 1983, also in 1983 Jim Gordon was sentenced first to 16 years (because he was diagnozed with acute paranoid schizophrenia) and then to life sentence for the savage murder of his own mother with a claw hammer!!. Rick Grech passed away in 1990.

So only Steve and Dave are alive and I don’t think they will ever get along, Dave quit Traffic in 1969 because serious conflicts and has never played together since then.

“Welcome to the Canteenâ€

Postby jett on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:41 am

jeeze. January needs to end before we lose Mick Fleetwood, Ringo Starr, or Levon Helm! :shock:

Capaldi will certainly be missed.
check out my band Betty Machete
jett

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:01 am

Other reason why I have serious doubts about Winwood-Mason reunion somewhere in the future is because he is always drunk and his health is really bad. The following is a copy and paste from a message posted in other board:

And believe me, Dave Mason is barely alive. By some freak of nature, he's friendly with my brother because he's played some shows for Republicans in Ohio over the last few years (some Republican hot-shot is a huge Mason fan and has invited him to play at a few gigs). Mason is always fantastically drunk at these shows, usually plays 3 songs ("We Just Disagree," "Feelin' Alright" and "Only You Know and I Know") and spends the rest of the night slamming down vodka or just leaves.

Postby BlackCladLizard on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:39 am

Wow! I didnt realize that dave was such a mess! I think that the only song that I liked from him was in Traffic calle Hole In My Shoe. That is horrible though!
BlackCladLizard

Postby Fidel on Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:59 pm

Be careful with the sauce folks! Chris Wood pretty much drank himself to death too.
Fidel

Return to Open Forums