did you get the revolution?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

did you get the revolution?

Postby surrealistic mirror on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:25 am

did anyone of you read the book by jeff tamarkin?
surrealistic mirror

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:11 pm

Yeah, definitely a worthwhile read. Rather than taking sides, Jeff give's everybody's recollection of events. Sometimes it's amusing how 6 people can remember an incident 6 different ways. Really gives a good picture of the band members and an understanding of how their different personalities and talents came together to create the Jefferson Airplane. It also puts a new perspective on the lat 60's. As someone who grew up on the east coast in a culture that idolized what was happening in San Francisco it put's a whole new light on events by seeing them trhough the band's eyes.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Willard on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:42 pm

Not yet but sounds very interesting.
Willard

Postby caseyjames on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:12 pm

Reading it right now. Good read so far.
caseyjames

Postby Steve on Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:27 pm

A most enjoyable read.
Steve

Postby jonestown on Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:24 pm

Yeah - a fun read and a good resource.
man oh man oh friend of mine
jonestown

hmmm

Postby Pooneil on Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:04 pm

sounds interesting, need to purchase it as soon I can...
Pooneil

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:50 am

read it ,thats what got into there music .
well written even though i never heard of this cats,
the author described it very well. highly recom.

Postby Willard on Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:51 am

I just finished reading the book. I smiled and laughed most of the way through which I felt heavily black humored. A real dysfunctional relationship between these talented people... It is sad they couldn't get along peacefully but I guess fame and fortune, celebrity status or whatever will always affect people in this way.
Willard

Postby gTarFreak on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:37 pm

As much as I love the book, I was left with the feeling that it emphasizes the reasons behind the eventual breakup a little too much. Jeff did an incredibly brilliant thing by presenting everyones recollection of the same events and it makes wonderful reading, but it did seem to leave out the good times. Or, maybe that was just what I saw when I read it. But if you've read the book I strongly recommend getting the DVD. Some of the live performances are outstanding and show the band in a different light, with the members showing their obvious respect for one another on stage.

Sometimes I think we confuse the relationships within bands with those within marriage. The relationships that hold a band together are purely musical, no matter how members might feel about the others. When the individuals' musical directions change, the band breaks up. New bands are formed, new music is made. Few things are as sad as a musical group which stays together just for the sake of replaying old songs.

Actually that last sentence is a little unfair. I guess a lot of people like to hear (again) the music that was part of their life. I just wouldn't want the Jefferson Airplane to get together again unless they felt that they had something new to say.

And, having said all that, I did see the Jefferson Starship last summer in an intimate performance on a 'Blues Cruise' around Manhattan. They did perform a number of JA songs and I have to admit that hearing the combination of Pauls vocals, guitar, and Marty's voice just a few feet from me sent shivers down my spine a few times.

Alas, Grace no longer sings, but her artwork is definitely worth checking out.

And, Jorma and Jack are still at it, both individually and together as Hot Tuna, pushing thier musical bounds.

As the I-Ching (and JA) say, "Life is change".

Okay, I've said waayy more than I started out to. Blame it on Capt. Morgan.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Willard on Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:30 am

gTarFreak wrote: ...but it did seem to leave out the good times. Or, maybe that was just what I saw when I read it.

That's exactly how I felt and personally was bit overwhelmed by the tragic unfold, which I think made me to spill out that last comment of mine. But now I really want to watch the DVD... :? (Unfortunately it's not out in Oceania)
Willard

Postby nickwishkah on Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:16 am

You're right, Dave! Music is not like marriage...though i've never been married. a couple of the bands that i'm in, well, i just don't get on with the other leading forces but musically speaking we get on well. that's why i stick with them and i think that's why they stick with me.

Nick
nickwishkah

Postby nickwishkah on Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:04 am

Damn Captain Morgan. He makes such a fine, fine sugary brew. Mmmm.

Nick
nickwishkah

Postby troebuck on Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:08 am

I think Jeff's book is required reading for anyone on this list... As are his liner notes, which are able to go in much more detail about the specific releases.
Tad
troebuck

Got a Revolution!

Postby Jeff Tamarkin on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:53 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Jeff T
Jeff Tamarkin

Next

Return to Open Forums