Fly Jefferson Airplane

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Fly Jefferson Airplane

Postby ceangle13 on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:10 pm

I just watched Fly Jefferson Airplane, and I have to say I was sadly disappointed! Although the music and the video footage and interviews were great, the story of the airplane was extremely vague! Okay, so they replaced spencer dryden with joey covington, but what happened to Papa John Creach? He most certainly was in the band! If I didn't know the story of the Airplane I would be satisfied with this documentary as a little piece of music history, but being knowledgeable I was hoping to see and hear more of what hasn't been available to the public! I don't understand why they decided to analyze or explain the songs- Martha, Lather, Volunteers, and not really finish the job. How about the collaborations with other bay area musicians, or even mention Nicky Hopkins? Honestly, the VH1 behind the music is much more informative than this new DVD. What do you guys think?
ceangle13

Postby ken K on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:16 am

Just watched it tonight, Somebody to Love gave me goosebumps..saw them live maybe 3 times in the Bay Area, a couple of times as the Starship and caught up Hot Tuna up in the Santa Cruz Mts so long ago.....It was OK but ya gotta remember this was before MTV VH1 and cam corders..Ken
ken K

Postby Guest on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:44 am

Tonight at work I heard the radio advertisement for the new reunion tour the guys are putting together for February in Camden, NJ. Guess what songs they played? White Rabbit and Somebody to Love! But they didn't seem to mention that the woman who sang these songs would not be performing at this tour and probably never again! Hardcore fans are going to be the only ones who know this, and that will leave everyone else out in the cold. Personally, I wouldn't want to hear these songs sung by any other person than Grace Slick. BUMMER!

Postby ceangle13 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:04 am

response to Ken: Anything that tells the story of the Airplane needs to get its facts straight and complete! That goes with anything documented. But if the producers of this documentary actually realized hardcore fans like myself would be of course buying and watching and lending out this DVD the story should be complete! I just don't understand why Papa John Creach, Skip Spence, Nicky Hopkins (he was a HUGE part of the sound of the album Volunteers) were left out of the story! Even Marty saying that it is remarkable that all members have survived the elements and are still alive is untrue! If it was important enough to mention the replacement of Spencer Dryden for Joey Covington, then Papa John Creach (god rest his soul) should get his fair mention as well! How often do bands enlist the help and musicianship of a 70 year old black electric violin player who was good enough to play on each others albums but not worthy of a mention or even a dedication to his contribution? Same goes for Skip Spence and I believe Nicky Hopkins! My Vh1 reference just implies that Vh1 did their homework, and the producers of this DVD did not! And for that I am disappointed! They could have done much better!
ceangle13

Return to Open Forums