My civic duty as a young person

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

My civic duty as a young person

Postby freakmeout on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Hello there! I am a young person, known commonly throughout this land as "freakmeout". As a young person, I feel that it is my civic duty to recommend wild and wacky music that not-so-young-people may not be aware of. I will cover whatever I can, from noise rock, to punk, to today's featured artist.

And awaaaaaayyyyy we go!

WEEN

Ween are a band from Philedelphia who have been around in one form or another since 1987. Their first (and sometimes considered their best- not by me though) album, GodWeenSatan: The Oneness, came out in 1990. It raised a lot of eyebrows. "What the hell is this? Is this a JOKE? Why are they ripping off Prince in that one song? What's with the high-pitched vocals? What's with all the funny?" My personal favorite album is Chocolate & Cheese, which combines all that silliness with a wide range of influences and styles.

It's kind of a joke, but above all, Ween are damn good songwriters with a penchant for the silly. Kind of like my favorite music-making man, Frank Zappa!

Some tunage:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q5K_w9Tbhoc
"The Mollusk" (off 1997's The Mollusk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4kkJPiTIyZ8
"Push th' Little Daises" (1992's Pure Guava)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WPF-MC7qCJA
"Roses Are Free" (1994's Chocolate & Cheese)

Coming up next, whenever I damn well feel like, The Boredoms, my favorite Japanese noisemakers!

Oh, and here's a picture of Gene & Dean Ween:

What a couple of sex machines, eh?
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Re: My civic duty as a young person

Postby psychhead on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:08 pm

You may be young freakmeout, but I'm competing with you on the "fresh" stuff out there.....I'll give anything a listen, just as long as it's NOT WIMPY!!!!!!! :):)

How about:
A brand new aussie band called Airbourne....the next best aussie thing:)

Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby freakmeout on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm not necessarily going for the uber fresh, I plan on talking about Flipper and Big Black and bands like that that are a bit older, but mad obscure.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby psychhead on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:38 pm

freakmeout wrote:I'm not necessarily going for the uber fresh, I plan on talking about Flipper and Big Black and bands like that that are a bit older, but mad obscure.

I'll be tracking this thread........ROCK ON!! :) :mrgreen:
psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 pm

freakmeout wrote:I'm not necessarily going for the uber fresh, I plan on talking about Flipper and Big Black and bands like that that are a bit older, but mad obscure.

Have you ever heard of the mighty BUTTHOLE SURFERS???

1981-1990-- Totally underground d.i.y. psyschedlic acid "punk", Texas LSD-fed weirdness, too noisy for many-- Considered "BAD"

1991-- 1st LOLLAPALOOZA tour -- Mass underground success, sign to Rough Trade (Independent)

1991-1993-- Still obliterating mind-cells, destroying chromosomes, laser-strafing brains

1993 major-label debut Capitol Records INDEPENDENT WORM SALOON (produced by John Paul Jones [LED ZEPPELIN etc.)...

1996 ELECTRIC LARRYLAND Capitol LP featuring #1 hit single "Pepper"

... Now announcing and playing new (2008) original line-up tour dates wit those School Of Rock kids.

Only mentioned by me on THIS Forum because BUTTHOLE SURFERS are the true essence of do-it-yourself and blow-some-minds Texas-homegrown PSYCHEDELIA and ANY of their available material is WELL worth your checkin' it out.

Cool?
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby freakmeout on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:32 am

I'm well-aware of Butthole Surfers, but have never checked them out, which I will promptly do.

And now, our next installment:

Boredoms

Boredoms are a noise rock band that hail from Osaka, Japan. At the current time, they are probably my favorite band. They is cuh-razy. They are led by Yamatsuka Eye (the guy with the wacky hair), who assists the band by screaming, singing, and banging on twelve-string guitars with drumsticks. The only other constant member is Yoshimi (or Yoshimmy) P-We (the girl), who drums, sings, and plays the trumpet. She guested on the Flaming Lips album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots! I adore this band. They started as a fusion of punk rock, free-jazz and pure, experimental noise with albums like Soul Discharge and Pop Tatari (and Chocolate Synthesizer, to a lesser extent. BUT THEN, THEN! Super ae and Vision Creation Newsun came out. These albums sound like pagan festivals on Mars. Religious repetition of riffs and vocals! It soars! It's awash in drum noise, but it's somehow softer, and it's beautiful. Okay. So it sounds kind of like Can. But it's way brighter than, say, Tago mago. I highly reccomend whatever Boredoms you can find (their discography is quite massive and a bit confusing), but especially Chocolate Synthesizer and Vision Creation Newsun.

Tuneage:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2sPxde77NRE
"circle" off Vision Creation Newsun

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qfss4Julqv4
Live footage from 2006's All Tomorrow's Parties festival

Yaaaaay Boredoms!
freakmeout

Postby psychhead on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:45 am

Cocktail Slippers from Norway.....here's a short bio...for more go to their official site!

Lisa Farfisa (vocal and organ) Rocket Queen (guitar and vocal) Tammy Lee Sticks (drums) Franny Franetic (guitar) Sugar Cane (bass)
Influences The musical backgrounds and sources of inspirations of The Cocktail Slippers can be tracked down to all kinds of stuff, but each member of the group has her own strong taste and opinion about this subject. Luckily the 5 of them can at least agree upon the fact that the love for bands like the Ramones, MC5, Blondie, B52's, Foo Fighters and Queens of the stoneage is something they all have in common.

psychhead

Postby freakmeout on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks for the new bands to check out, CD! Have you listened to the Boredoms links yet?
freakmeout

Postby psychhead on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:19 pm

I missed TL at the grand 'ol O'House in Sydney!!! Great pix above man!! :):):):)
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Hey CD....it's not like you not to post one of the BIGGEST Dutch bands ever....GOLDEN EARRING......here's Radar Love to liven you up!!! :):):):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeRa3RtBiIU

psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:14 pm

freakmeout wrote:I'm well-aware of Butthole Surfers, but have never checked them out, which I will promptly do.

Please and by all means, you SHOULD do SHOULD check out BUTTHOLE SURFERS... If you have never seen them play live (THE BEST!!!) then at least try to score some songs to hear...

I do not LIE when I state that THEY are THA "REAL" shit-- 1000% PSYCHEDELIC and DEFINITELY how do you say, "in the tradition"...

I have some rare stuff (bootlegs and such) which I could send to you... Otherwise I would whole-heartedly recommend to you:

A BROWN REASON TO LIVE / PCPP-EP "Live" (l.p. / e.p.) 1982

PSYCHIC... POWERLESS.. ANOTHER MAN'S SAC (l.p.) 1984

CREAM CORN FROM THE SOCKET OF DAVIS (e.p) 1985

REMBRANDT PUSSY HORSE (l.p.) 1986

LOCUST ABORTION TECHNICIAN (l.p.) 1987

HAIRWAY TO STEVEN (l.p.) 1988

WIDOWERMAKER! (e.p) 1989

PIOUHGD (l.p.) 1990

JACK OFFICERS (solo project) (l.p.) 1991

THE HISTORY OF DOGS (solo project) (l.P.) 1991

INDEPENDENT WORM SALOON (Capitol Records l.p.) Produced by John Paul Jones 1993

ELECTRIC LARRYLAND (Capitol Records l.p.) 1996

THE WEIRD REVOLUTION (l.P.) 2001

Latest word is that BUTTHOLE SURFERS are playing some shows stateside along with those "School Of Rock" kids...

... See how THAT turns out!!!

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:46 pm

I grew up listening to "Sylvia's Mother" :D 8) ....it was a #1 hit in Australia! :)
psychhead

Return to Open Forums