Albert Hofmann is dead

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Albert Hofmann is dead

Postby Lilla on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:09 am

LSD Inventor Albert Hofmann Dead at Age 102

Albert Hofmann, the pioneering Swiss chemist and advocate of psychedelics who discovered the hallucinogenic properties of LSD, died Tuesday. He was 102.

Hofmann reportedly died of a heart attack at his home in Basel, Switzerland.

Hofmann's most famous discovery happened on April 16, 1943. He was researching the synthesis of a lysergic acid compound, LSD-25, when he inadvertently absorbed a bit through his fingertips. Intrigued by the effect it had on his perception, Hofmann decided further exploration was warranted. Three days later, on April 19, he ingested 250 milligrams of LSD, embarking on the first full-fledged acid trip. That day became known among LSD fans as "bicycle day" because Hofmann began experiencing the drug's intense effects on his bicycle trip home from the lab.

In his autobiography, LSD, My Problem Child, Hofmann remembered his discovery this way:

"In a dreamlike state, with eyes closed (I found the daylight to be unpleasantly glaring), I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors. After some two hours this condition faded away."

The experience led Hofmann to begin experimenting with other hallucinogens and he became an advocate of their use, in both the arenas of psychoanalysis and personal growth. He was critical of LSD's casual use by the counterculture during the '60s, accusing rank amateurs of hijacking the drug he still refers to as "medicine for the soul" without understanding either its positive or negative effects.

In a celebration of Hofmann's 100th birthday in 2006, Hofmann told the crowd of well-wishers -- which included 2,000 researchers, scientists, artists and historians -- that "LSD wanted to tell me something. It gave me an inner joy, an open mindedness, a gratefulness, open eyes and an internal sensitivity for the miracles of creation."

Hofmann was also the first scientist to synthesize psilocybin, the active ingredient in psilocybin mushrooms, in 1958.
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Re: Albert Hofmann is dead

Postby Dormouse on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:55 pm

Thank you Albert Hofmann for all that you gave us.
You made possible the greatest era in America.

Rest in peace knowing you made a difference.

Thank You
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby psychhead on Tue May 06, 2008 10:00 am

gOODBYE MY PSYCHEDELIC PAL:(:(

Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu May 08, 2008 6:13 pm

We have this intellectually-brilliant scientific mind full of genius and open-mindedness to thank for the opportunity for Westerners to participate in an actual psychic epiphany, to be revealed to them the TRUTH under Western eyes, such as indigenous cultures have seen and known for millenia.

I mean-- my God-- He "discovered" LSD-25 as well as synthesising PSILOCYBIN and OTHER inestimable research!!!

:shock:

God bless the great Albert Hofmann!
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Fri May 09, 2008 5:32 am

DonRico1967 wrote:We have this intellectually-brilliant scientific mind full of genius and open-mindedness to thank for the opportunity for Westerners to participate in an actual psychic epiphany, to be revealed to them the TRUTH under Western eyes, such as indigenous cultures have seen and known for millenia.

I mean-- my God-- He "discovered" LSD-25 as well as synthesising PSILOCYBIN and OTHER inestimable research!!!

:shock:

God bless the great Albert Hofmann!

Very sage of you DonR!!! :)
psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri May 09, 2008 6:37 pm

OK so yeah...

Thanks also to the dude that discovered moldy oranges could generate compounds which can save lives.

Nothing to sneer at-- important stuff there.

But this thread was named in honor of the great Dr. Albert Hofmann.

The first doctor (what was his name?) I have to thank for curing my teen-age-era bout of gonorrhea...

:oops:

But the honorable Dr. Hofmann we ALL have to thank for providing the scientifically-quantifiable means to achieve a religious- and/or spiritual "PSYCHEDELIC" experience--

--Awarenesses which would have otherwise eluded the confined mind of the "civilized" Western Man, and perhaps laid the blueprint for spontaneously-generated epiphanies of the human psyche, which is to say, REVELATIONS of the TRUE reality of the universe.

I am not trying to generate a "pro-drug" / "anti-drug" argument here. That very premise is inherently FLAWED.

But preternaturally-aware persons SHOULD NOT be restricted by the laws of man in order to deny those same persons the ability to experience the sensory-amplified awareness of
thee PSYCHEDELIC experience.

I am not trying to debate this subject with Mr. Destiny. We all know that he dwells in Holland (perhaps the ONE nation with most respect for INTERNAL freedom)... Lucky fellow...

But we also know that he dismisses all "drugs" as being WRONG and BAD.

Well...

I'm just sayin'...

"Psychedelics" are NOT drugs... They are a means to INCREASE one's intellect and expand the human mind's limited parameters.

OR alternately, one can just watch the walls melt and enjoy the auditory sensations and visual tracer-trails. :P

Psychedelic substances are a tool given by God to man for his spiritual growth. They are NOT addictive.
They also are NOT to be trifled with in a casual way, like smoking a mild cannabis joint ...

They are NOT the same as those powerful and dangerously addictive drugs derived from fermented sugars (alcohol), tobacco (nicotine), coca leaves (cocaine) and poppy flowers (opioids).

And so... Despite the attempted-thread-hijack, I will once again return to the ORIGINAL subject and just say

THANK YOU!!!

and

GOD BLESS YOU, respected and admired Dr. Albert Hofmann.

WORD.
DonRico1967

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri May 09, 2008 9:08 pm

Don't forget that The Good Ol' GRATEFUL DEAD used roses in their iconography and not yet only but also;

"crimson was the colour /
Of the ribbons that she wore"

:D
DonRico1967

Postby Dormouse on Sat May 10, 2008 1:09 am

What the hell?
What is your problem? This thread was started to honor the late Dr. Hofmann. But some one has to make it their mission to make it about themself. If you want to go on a Nancy Reagan, Just Say No, campaign, at least make it a new thread. That all the ignorant fools that listen to the Airplane won't get the wrong idea about drugs!
I would have never imagined that the issue of drugs would have to be debated on a Jefferson Airplane forum. What the Airplane was and what their music meant had a foundation on drugs (and let's be clear, this means LSD). If you can not handle it, and want to think that drugs had a little role on the Airplane and that it was negative, you are very mistaken. It is wrong that people listen to their music and try to pervert its message into something that it is not, so it fits in their own mental framework. Jefferson Airplane not only used drugs and benefited from drugs, but also promoted drugs! I do not go by Dormouse for no reason! Feed your head! What does that mean!?! If a listener of the Airplane can not understand that, they have no business listening to their music at all.

By the way, DonRico, you put this matter in a very elegant and enlightening way.

And I wonder way this forum is always dead.
Last edited by Dormouse on Mon May 19, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby psychhead on Mon May 12, 2008 8:51 am

DonRico1967 wrote:Don't forget that The Good Ol' GRATEFUL DEAD used roses in their iconography and not yet only but also;

"crimson was the colour /
Of the ribbons that she wore"

:D

Hi DR!!! Right on! :)
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 am

If a listener of the Airplane can not understand that, they have no business listening to their music at all.

By the way, DonRico, you put this matter in a very elegant and enlightening way.

And I wonder way this forum is always dead.

I know where you're coming from Dm!! :).....and may I add, if anyone can't handle JA's music, let them be banished to wimpyland and listen to Madonna, Spears and f**kin' J-Lo!! :):):)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6478&hl=nl
psychhead

Postby Dormouse on Mon May 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Dr. Hofmann in 2006 at the age of 100:

A quote from Dr. Hofmann:
“ I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD. It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be. ”

Spoken like a true scientist.
Last edited by Dormouse on Wed May 14, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Lilla on Fri May 16, 2008 9:56 am

Chasin-Destiny wrote:I'll try to keep it short, simple and sweet as sugar ;
This is a message to ALL of you !

Some DUMB ARSHOLES on this forum are telling me that i know shit
about JA's music because i do not like drugs. Oh boy, what a bunch of
DUMB ARSHOLES over there ! Get some of it, get HIGH, and drop DEAD !
Thanx...

Did they realy say or write ; This music is ONLY for psychedelic drug users !

Give me THAT on paper ! NOW !...
If you can't give me THAT on paper ?... Get some drugs and drop DEAD !
Thanx again...

I can't believe this, WHAT the fuck is going on here on this forum ?
Do i have to use drugs to "belong" here ?.... WOW ! Cooolllllll ! That's why a LOT
of people are gone ! Do you (dumb arshole) think everybody likes drugs,
only to listen to this 60s music from a band that did drugs ? WOW ! Cooollllll !!!!!!...

If you, my dear drugs freaks, would put THAT "energy" in something that could
do something for a better world. No country would need an army !

Complaining is EASY, but doing something isn't it at all !
Thanx...

No problem, Chasin'! :wink:
I totally agree with you!
I just read that article about Hofmann and thought that I make a topic with the title "AH is dead" but that's it.It isn't a pro-drug topic.
I never took LSD and I don't want to destroy myself as long as I'm healthy, I took twice or more pot and that's all.
And I think that I totally understand the MUSIC of Airplane, I just don't need to use drugs to understand them...
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby Lilla on Fri May 16, 2008 10:28 am

1st, Sorry for my choice of words. But if some kids like to try to teach me about life ?
...and to tell me JA's music is only for users of any drug(s) ? Makes me :twisted: :twisted:

I agree.

1000X Thanx Lilla, i am grateful for this post ! Now i know that i am not alone
on this JA forum with my love for their music, without the need of any drugs.

Jefferson Airplane 's music is for EVERYBODY who like to listen to them !!!!!!

No, you're not alone. :) Yes I love their MUSIC too and I don't care about they made it by the influence of drugs or not. I just to like what (and how) the played and sung.

(check out your private messages!)
Lilla

Postby psychhead on Fri May 16, 2008 11:58 am

:twisted: :twisted: It's really silly having to read here that JA's music is for EVERYONE.......I FOR ONE HAVE NEVER QUESTIONED THAT..OF COURSE IT IS...S**T. I don't KNOW anyone who says the contrary.......ACTUALLY it's other dumbasses (not here) who say that the "SQUARES" can't listen to JA.....that's the BIG diff!......WAKE UP PEEPS...AND PAY ATTENTION!! :):):)

psychhead

Postby psychhead on Fri May 16, 2008 12:14 pm

8) 8) I think and confirm that sometimes posts here get way too personal :roll: :mrgreen: ! We are all here for one simple reason and that's the love for Grace Slick and JA. Personally, if one day I should ever go mad and dislike JA, HIGHLY IMPROBABLE a<t 50!!! :):), I would be the 1st to say goodbye to the forum! :mrgreen:
psychhead

Next

Return to Open Forums