You're Livin' in the Past, Man...

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

You're Livin' in the Past, Man...

Postby graceslick on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:08 am

I live in the past musically.

I ONLY listen to the following...

- Jefferson Airplane
- Grace Slick (and other related artists, Paul Kantner, etc)
- Fleetwood Mac
- Stevie Nicks' solo stuff
- Lou Reed (and Velvet Underground)
- Marianne Faithfull
- Dusty Springfield
- Simon & Garfunkel
- The Mamas & the Papas
- The Beatles (and the members' solo stuff)
- The Rolling Stones
- The Stranglers
- David Bowie
- Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young)
- Joni Mitchell
- Bob Dylan
- Frank Zappa

I literally do not listen to ANY modern music!!!! Do I have a problem? I'm only 29 years old!
graceslick

Re: You're Livin' in the Past, Man...

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 pm

A little bit late to reply? Why yes.

But anyway, I live in the past too. I am only 16 years old and I love the 60's. I'd have been a cool hippie, and AM a cool hippie now...minus the acid.

I listen toooo..

-Jefferson Airplane (and Jefferson Starship/Starship...anything with GRACE is good for me!)
-Grace Slick
-The B-52's (though they are both oldies and modern)
- The Byrds
- The Doors
- The Electric Prunes
- The Grass Roots
- Great Society (they're amazing)
- Janis Joplin
- The Mamas & The Papas
- ? & The Mysterians
- Rolling Stones
- Scott McKenzie's only song he is known for
- The Seeds (CHOCOLATE RIVER! Greaaaat song!!!! I love them)
- Strawberry Alarm Clock
- The Youngbloods
- 5th Dimension

:D :) :)
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby graceslick on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Oh yeah, I LOVE that Scott Mackenzie song!!! I sometimes listen to it on the bus home from work and go off into my own little world. Heheh. :mrgreen:
graceslick

Postby nostalgia on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:28 am

yeah well you guys aren't the only ones in that case, i totally agree...i'm 18 and i also listen only to oldies! :roll:
but it's not our fault if the modern music is just not as good...it gets too commercial and every idiot can go to some TV-Show and bring out a crappy cd, it's often worthless (well, not always, but you really have to dig to find something good, it's getting rare)
In the past, only the real good ones could make it, and i think that's why oldies are just simply...BETTER 8)
nostalgia

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:43 pm

As the button I proudly display on my messenger bag for school says...
It's not that I'm old, your music really does suck.

:D

And GOD is that ever true.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Steve on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:51 pm

How about bands from the past AND the present? King Crimson- first album 1969, latest album 2003 & currently on tour. Or the Strawbs- first album 1968 latest album to be released next month and currently on tour.
Steve

Postby graceslick on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40 pm

I just think there is only so many original and unique and interesting things you can do in music…once it’s been done 50 million times in similar ways, it’s gonna sound a bit lame and crap. So in that way, the music from the 60s, 70s etc, because it hadn’t been done a million times before, was automatically better than some of the stuff that’s around today. These days it’s the same old, same old but crap as well. (the only good music around these days I think that I have heard of is some of Coldplay’s stuff, a band called The Panics from Australia, a band called the Fleet Foxes from America…and yeah. I think that’s it really.)

People (mainly teenagers who seem to control the music business in terms of what gets heard) have bad taste in music. I find this is increasing as time goes on. The people who have GOOD taste (the 60s, 70s or GOOD modern music, whatever there is of it that’s around) are no longer relevant to the music industry. The deaf people (teenagers. Not to be rude to any teens here, but you know what I mean. If you’re 18 and have good taste in music, you’re a rarity) are who count these days, so that’s the music that is played all the time, and thus that’s the ONLY music that gets heard by more and more younger people who then in turn don’t know any GOOD music, and so the cycle just perpetuates. It’s all very sad in my opinion. I find it lame when I hear a remake of some lame ass singing something or other, and some young person doesn’t even know there was ever an original version back in the 70s or whatever. HELLO!

It scares me to think that in another 30 years or so, nobody will remember The Beatles or the Stones or the Airplane. *fear!*
graceslick

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:06 pm

No - The Stones, Aiplane, Beatles...they won't die because there are people out there who do like them. Regardless of how popular they are in the future, they will be around.

It really sucks that kids I go to school with have no idea who Grace Slick is or who Jefferson Airplane is. A ton of kids carry around The Beatles bags for a backpack, and lemme tell ya. Those kids? Probably couldn't even name 5 songs by them. The teenagers of today aren't anything to be afraid of, it's something to be very ashamed of. Music, real good music, is dying. I'm 16 and trying to get kids to understand that thier music sucks and that the 60's rocks. Not everyone will agree, but man. It's just sad to see.

I'm so ashamed of my generation. They make themselfs look like...well, they don't look too bright, mmmkay?

LONG LIVE GOOD 60'S MUSIC.

:)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby graceslick on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:22 am

Oh GOD I hear ya! I'm 29 (30 in under 5 weeks!!! :shock: ) and even people of MY age group have craptacular taste in music.

I guess even though I was born in the 70s, I was only 2 when the 80s began so I have no real conscious memory of 70s music from then, and I was a "child of the 80s", so I DO like the 80s songs even though logically I know they suck.

Anyway, people my age seem to like the 80s cause of the childhood memories and also the 90s cause that's what they were bombarded with as they grew up. Personally, I HATE the 90s in terms of music! IT ALL SUCKED! Just like it still does now.

BRING BACK THE 60s and 70s!! I BEG OF YOU, MUSIC GODS!!!

I hate the fact that when I walk down the street, proudly wearing my Airplane t-shirt (Volunteers album cover), nobody knows who they are. *sigh*
graceslick

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Oh I hear ya. I am stuck at High School...if I hear rap one more time, I'll do one of two things: choke them and force them to listen to JA or barf all over them & then force them to listen to JA. And I'm not a violent person, so obviously I'll do the latter.

But it is sickening. People look at Grace (whom I proudly display on my binder) and say two or three things, "Who is she?" and "She's got beautiful eyes," or "She's changed a lot!"... :x :shock:

Save the music. Save the music.
My guitar teacher said that today, music is so unstructured. You need a machine, drums, guitars, singers, and that's it. You don't even need a good voice because the machines can edit that for you and lip syncing is always an option, if covered up from the media well. (If you're a rapper, just speak regularly in a sing-song like voice) And you don't even know how to write a song, other people can do that for you as well. Million bucks made easy.

God, back in the day, a musician would've laughed at you in the face for this.

BRING BACK THE 60'S. BRING IT BACK.

Goddd, that was the saddest thing I've ever written ^.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:16 am

Some Eighties music is good for a laugh, though. I found a copy of "Metamatic" by John Foxx recently, and it seems funny now that such stuff could have been taken so seriously. Those English electro bands never understood Kraftwerks's sense of humour. I think the rot set in after Bowie put out "Ziggy Stardust". After that, the haircuts were more important than the music. Sorry, CD, but I think Glam was 90% crap. But Bolan was good for a while.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:Some Eighties music is good for a laugh, though. I found a copy of "Metamatic" by John Foxx recently, and it seems funny now that such stuff could have been taken so seriously. Those English electro bands never understood Kraftwerks's sense of humour. I think the rot set in after Bowie put out "Ziggy Stardust". After that, the haircuts were more important than the music. Sorry, CD, but I think Glam was 90% crap. But Bolan was good for a while.

Definitely.
A lot of things that were just Haha funny were taken so seriously.
Like She Bop is my favorite Cyndi Lauper song, and it was banned in a lot of states and on certain radio stations. It's crazy, cause it's just a fun, quirky song on female masturbation.
Whenever I get into an odd mood, I put on some 80's stuff.

It's funny, but I used to LOVE the 80's. Loved it soo much. But now I'm not really liking it much at all. In fact, some of it I dislike...greatly.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby psychhead on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Cool thread indeed!!! :). Being Aquarius, I tend to not be stuck in the past while learning from it. The 80s? In my honest op. to be totally cancelled from the calendar...musically and socially.....the Darkest Age of music! :). I'm half a century old and come from a long way in music, but I will not fall in the trap of being caught 'in the past'......I've learned to listen to "modern" music played bt bands like Eric Stumpo's Plan 9, the Pandoras, Mazzy Star, Midnight Movies from L.A. with the same emotion I listened to JA, the Dead and the Doors many moons ago for the first time!!! Today's music? Not to throw down the drain 100%....the tuffest thing is to look for the good vibes in the midst of the wimpy J-Los, Madonna's and MJ's out there!!! :):):)

Robert.
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Why worry about being stuck in the past?
If you like that music better, than listen to it until your heart is content. I'm 16 and I'm stuck in the 60's...who cares? I enjoy the 60's music, so that is what I listen to. *shrug* I'm a true non-conformist to the core, though. So I hardly listen to what I am told to do and not do. If a non-conformist conforms to what non-conformists conform to, what does that make you? See what I mean??
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Steve wrote:How about bands from the past AND the present? King Crimson- first album 1969, latest album 2003 & currently on tour. Or the Strawbs- first album 1968 latest album to be released next month and currently on tour.

Please see my "EMERGENCY!" BROADCAST!!! post as well for more on your subject with which I agree 100%!!!
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Next

Return to Open Forums