For new members...

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: For new members...

Postby redrabid on Sun May 02, 2010 2:02 am

It looks like that you guys are caught up in the strings of love and feel smothered by the demands of monogamy. But I've got news for you! The party is still going on. We use condoms nowadays, that is, the smart ones among us.
redrabid

Postby usedtobebabson on Sun May 02, 2010 8:26 am

Ok OKD! I was gonna, but didn't say Love is just a feeling. Donovan song I think. I'll just say that IMHO thinking too much about what love is and analyzing it too much does no one any good :?
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sun May 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Love may be just a feeling, because when it's gone all it was is just a way you felt for someone, or something. When you shed candies and flowers and little red hearts and rules of dating, and Valentines day as a whole, it's the most strong and pure, joyful but painful feeling you can have for someone. But love really should never be explained, or else it becomes an objective and has rules, and where's the love in that?
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby okeedoe on Sun May 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Tis OK,Babs.No problems.We just chat,that's all. :)
okeedoe

Postby redrabid on Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 pm

They are very touching, these Western conceptions of Romantic Love. But let me turn on the cold water tab. Maintaining a relationship is usually hard work, full of disappointments. Too often, those high minded ideals prove to be unrealistic, causing feelings of frustration and unhappiness, when people fail to attain them. Love is not a feeling, it's a choice.
redrabid

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sun May 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Love is only a choice if you haven't found the right person.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby okeedoe on Sun May 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Nobody said anything about ideals.You cannot truly love if you don't comprehend and understand.To really love someone means to be aware of their foulties, otherwise it is loving your own ideal of love that you conveyed to other person.And that means problems,disappointmens,altercations, because you expect of a person you ''love'' to execute your own ideailzed conception of them.That is how young people enrich their insides and learn about love during their coming of age.
But I was talking about mature love. Of course love is a hard work full of disappointments and also a dubious journey which includes making some choices.But not a choice whether to love or not.It is not up to us.

A two things are impossible to hide:love and coughing.
By the way,did you tell your wife of your wet dream about Grace,Red?
(shit, I hate my poor English)
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun May 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Quite right, OKD. I think of love as something that can't be helped, so it's better if it's "free", that is, not tinged with guilt. What you actually do about it is another matter.

You are disturbingly free of romantic notions, RR.

(I will lay my cards on the table and state that I am not uselessly in love with any former members of Jefferson Airplane.)
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sun May 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Being in love with former members of Jefferson Airplane is also something that can't be helped... Whether it be musical love or head-over-heals in love, they just have that effect. They're wonderful that way.

And sometimes, you can be in love and can't help it, but still feel guilty.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby redrabid on Mon May 03, 2010 1:31 am

I haven't become 59 without learning something about the foolishness of Romantic Love. For instance the idea of Mr/Mrs Right, that goads people into making tragically wrong choices. And some of you seem to confuse the feeling of being in love with loving somebody, two very different things. Love involves choosing, remember the frase "I do"?
My wife? I don't have one. My lover and I are still living the sixties.
Funny that you mistake a musical dream for a wet dream, Okeedoe.
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon May 03, 2010 5:27 am

Why on earth would you have to say "I do"? Love doesn't have rules like that. I mean, there are the conventions of courtship and marriage, but I've never been comfortable with them.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Mon May 03, 2010 7:01 am

I am not goading anyone,Red.Wrong choices are sometimes necessary in life.You cannot learn without wrong decisions.How can you properly learn what's right without suffering the consequences of a bad decissions.Up to a healthy point of course.
Love doesn't always need or involve ''I do'' ,in contrast to an interest..
Only your superficiality could be compared to your sunny disposition. You are too shallow in emotions and reasoning for your obviously fairly high level of education.Or you are too reserved to show any. I don't know about your partner but it seems to me that you are living the fifties rather than sixties.
I love you even when you are wrong, gloomy old rabbit.Sorry,you're not gloomy,you are absolutely bleak. I don't remember you have ever said a kind word to enyone here.Why do you hate us so?

Oh dear Red,we cultivate such a beautiful animosity towards each other.Let's never spoil that special feeling. :wink:

''I'll show you ,you son of a bitch ,okeedoe. you just wait and see,motherfucker''!
:twisted:
Last edited by okeedoe on Mon May 03, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon May 03, 2010 8:22 am

All these bits of wisdom on love and forgiveness has reminded of a song I just (re)discovered on Worst of JA. Watch her Ride, which I never really paid any attention to before. "You're so fine, in my mind".
My son was just telling me about a tall red head (who was so fine in his mind) but then her own sister said she was a slut, angry at whatever, etc. So what she was in his mind was not what she was :) I just told him that a lot of people could have said the same thing about his mother when I met her. But instead of turning me off, she just reminded me of the hometown girls, and she made me feel more "at home". We were all viewed negatively by society back then and we were all channeling our anger into good counter-culture feelings. So society, side of the tracks, all that "Patches" stuff can impact your choice on whether to succumb to real love when it hits you. It's like getting high. You know you're high and there are no doubts. You know you are in love and there are no doubts. If you have to ask somebody if they think you are in love, you aren't.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 am

love is just a four letter word as bob dylan wrote
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby fairlane500 on Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm

And as some song i heard once somewhere said, don't YOU want Somebody to Love? Yeah? well, you better find somebody to love, or else!
fairlane500

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums