For new members...

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: For new members...

Postby fairlane500 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi Everyone, It looks like I'm the first newbie to post here in a while. I'm 51, another relatively old fart, but like alot of others here, the Airplane came into my life after they'd already broken up. My old girlfriend and I watched an anti-drug movie in 1980 called "Go Ask Alice" (her choice for the film, but I'm glad we watched it in retrospect!). Needless to say, White Rabbit was played in the movie. I was mesmerized with Grace's voice (as well as her looks once I saw the "Surrealistic Pillow" album). I went to our neighborhood record store the next day (the "Wherehouse" in Granada Hills, California and looked for anything by Jefferson Airplane. I only found "After Bathing at Baxter's" (but what a find-definetely my favorite JA album) and a brand new Jefferson Starship album (Modern Times-I love Stairway to Cleveland from that album!). Baxter's was awesome. I also totally dug the Starship album. I bought the rest of the Airplane's catalog shortly thereafter, as well as Starship stuff and Grace solo (but nothing compares to "classic" airplane IMO). Being that I and most of my friends were born in the late '50's and early '60's, my taste in "hippie music" was weird to some of them, but I didn't care. I still liked Van Halen just fine, thank you very much, but there was always something about Jefferson Airplane that just totally turned me on. In the old days I attributed all that to Grace. But there nothing finer than listening to Jacks thundering bass and Jorma's screeching guitar interplay. God, I love this band! Saw JS in 1982 (the Winds of Change tour) where they played Somebody to Love, White Rabbit and Volunteers as an encore. saw the Airplane reunion tour 3 times in 1989. Saw JS again this past summer at the "Heroes of Woodstock" tour. Well, I've rambled on enough. Glad to be a new member!
fairlane500

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Welcome! Always nice to have some new opinions.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:42 am

Hi. Wasn't that film awful? No rude words in it at all, unlike the book.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby fairlane500 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Yeah, the anti-drug movies from yesteryear were pretty bad. I remember seeing one in the 7th grade that had a bunch of people sitting around smokin' da buds at a "pot party". The next scene showed a strung out dude shooting up heroin (I assume) in some alley. Narrator said: "If you smoke (grass or weed or whatever "lingo" the authorities used in those days), next thing you know, this will be you!
fairlane500

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Wow, a new member who posted something more than "be my myspace friend" - I'm floored!

My dad used to tell me "You better not be smoking any pot, cause that leads to grass, and weed, and then next thing you know, you'll be doing that marijuana stuff"...
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby usedtobebabson on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 am

Well you got the 70s, which wasn't too bad, for balling and getting high and listening to notes. Most of the late 60s music was still around, along with the hippie drugs.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby okeedoe on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:54 am

It's never too bad for balling .
okeedoe

Postby usedtobebabson on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:55 am

Oh!, Absolutely true! However my experience was that the sexual revolution part was for real, and the ballin' was still free along with the love, with a much more abundant selection :lol:
usedtobebabson

Postby okeedoe on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Right,you Dionysian frenetic.

There is no such a thing as a free love because you can't receive love if you don't or can't give some of it in return.I could go proceeding forever with citing stupid empty phrases about love,but there is no point since every one is wortheless and true at the same time..
It is uncomparable simpler with sex only.A pure metabolic act, good for both mental and physical health.Sex is also a good analgetic for an aching, desparate soul, tortured by thirst for love.An erotic compulsive love as a substitute for brotherly or motherly love is a highly adictive stuff but it is helpful only to a point when a person get blased.Then you find yourself unsatisfied, hopeless and with nothing to go on.An empty shell.
Now you fuckers might think I am talking about myself.I'm not.I just want to make myself as an experienced smart ass.
Dear,prescious, beloved new members, ball whoever you get to and whenever you get the chance 'till your eyeballs pop out..Don't waste no time 'cause life is too short.

I expect that old red crocodile jumps out of the water anytime now
Last edited by okeedoe on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby fairlane500 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Wow! I love the discussion about ballin'. Ballin' seems so retro (well, actual balling doesn't seem retro, but SAYING ballin' does!) You do what you can to get bald and hi !(Kantner/RCA executives: 1968). Unfortunately for me (and an untold number of young ladies I might have had encounters with-haha) the sexual revolution was pretty much over by the time I "came of age". Herpes in the late '70's and AIDS in the '80's put a damper on most peoples sex lives. Bummer, to say the least.
fairlane500

Postby oldblue on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:22 pm

seems like all that "free" love had a price tag after all.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat May 01, 2010 6:22 am

Funnily enough, the AIDS risk did nothing to stop me.

"stupid empty phrases about love... every one is worthless and true at the same time." You are a poet, OKD!
Susan Butcher

Postby usedtobebabson on Sat May 01, 2010 9:19 am

OKD! I was tempted to say Love is just a feeling but by the end of your post I was LMAO.
Fairlane500, You know how the chicks would say "don't say that" when you said to them "let's fuck". So they would want you to say "make love" instead. In those times they wanted you to say "Let's Ball" instead. Cheesch! I miss those days.
Again I don't agree with oldblue. Don't think the 13 and up chicks are ballin for free, had anything to do with the onset of herpes or aids, and even if it did, they were doing it because of Vietnam, which is the one that had the real price tag. The only price tag was the revenge of the government with it's war on drugs and other tactics to destroy the counter-culture.
Of Course I could be wrong about all this and these are just my educated opinions.
usedtobebabson

Postby okeedoe on Sat May 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Why, thank you,dear Susan!
You are going to spoil me(if you're not just joking with me).Is it you when you were a child on that piccie?

You gotta be kidding me,Babs
What do you mean ''love is JUST a feeling ? I guess you have been only fondled by a cosy warmth of THE FIRE and from a safe distance.I swallowed the whole goddamn torch many years ago and it still smokes from my ass when I fart.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat May 01, 2010 10:43 pm

No, the pic's not me, she just looks like me. I'm currently fascinated by Playplax, which are those slotted transparent squares.

Love is our saving grace. We'd be sad little robots without it, even if it hurts sometimes.

"Ball" does sound a bit ridiculous now. It has the nice connotation of a posh party, undermined by the imperitive of hairy testicles.

Perhaps we should divert this into "Sex in the Good Old Days" and "Favourite Anti-Drug Films" topics.
Susan Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums