Jefferson Airplane on Sony !!!!!!!!!!!

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Jefferson Airplane on Sony !!!!!!!!!!!

Postby frankarosa on Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:26 am

Hello im a new member and i need your HELP!!I for the life of me cant find the CD of Jefferson Airplanes Reunion tour that was in 1989 or 1988!!It was produced by Sony Records and it has the songs Panda,Solidarity,The Wheel and Ect. on it !!!I tried ordering it from Hastings Records and they cant find it !!!Iwent to the concert in California and i had the tape way back then but i'd like to find it on CD !!Any help would be gratefully appreciated !
frankarosa

Postby Whenheco on Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:23 pm

@ Roman : Why are Bark and Long John Silver not on the website ? Still trying to get those albums :wink:
Whenheco

Postby frankarosa on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:19 pm

Roman thanks for the info but can you give an mail address since i have no pay pal or visa? Thanks
frankarosa

Postby troebuck on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:06 pm

Amazon has 'em
Tad
troebuck

Postby Don Rico on Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:11 pm

So I have never heard the 1989 JEFFERSON AIRPLANE...

I read somewhere that all the tracks were recorded by the separate band members in different studios...

So the question is...

Is this album any good? How does it really sound?

People?

:?:
Don Rico

Postby troebuck on Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:40 pm

There are a lot of standout tracks on this album -- moreso than on Long John Silver -- so I'm glad they rewrote the end of the Airplane story to include one more album. It's kind of neat to see what directions Airplane got bent into after everyone had gone off to do their thing for 15+ years and then came back to compare notes.

"Freedom" is an amazing track, and was a centerpiece of their live show. "Solidarity," "The Wheel," "Common Market Madrigal" and "True Love" are also incredibly solid tracks.

I think the album gets unfairly maligned, because people tend to compare it to the whole Airplane legacy that precedes it.

If you judge the music on it's own terms, rather than how it holds up against your memories of the first time you got high to Surrealistic Pillow, it sounds just as good as anything else that came out that year -- and probably better.

Another critique is of Ron Nevison's over-slick production, or the over-reliance on studio musicians. It would have been interesting to hear an album that just stuck to the talent at hand, but I guess we'll never know.

My only "problem" with the album is that a good chunk of the songs they used had already been kicking around for years... Things that Jorma and KBC had been performing for some time. There are some "new" songs, but it was almost as though they could'nt be bothered to write a whole album's worth of brand spanking new material -- they just took what was lying around and brought it to the table.

Whatever. That doesn't really affect the overall quality of the album and I really think it's worth your time to seek it out for a listen -- it will certainly give you a fuller picture of the Airplane story, even if it isn;t the "classic" Airplane everyone seems to want but nobody can quite define.
Tad
troebuck

Postby jonestown on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:22 am

I saw them at the Fillmore (got a cool poster) and at GG Park in 1989. Great shows, but a very weird time for me. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease (a form of lymphoma) that summer, undergoing radiation, sick, losing hair, etc. Those 2 shows and a lot of Dead / Jery shows carried me through that time.

I really like the song Grace sang with Yorma and Jack called "Third Week In Chelsea" (I think):

On an early New York mornin' a mirror in the hall
Showed to me a face I didn't know at all
Lines were drawn around a pair of eyes that opened wide
When I looked into the mouth there was nothing left inside
So I walked into the little room and whistled like a sigh

So, I don't know what the album sounds like, but they sounded pretty damn good on stage in 1989. And the recording of the GG Park show I made still sounds good. I wish they'd fire it up again.
man oh man oh friend of mine
jonestown

3rd Week in the Chelsea

Postby gTarFreak on Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:03 am

It is "Third Week in the Chelsea" and it's a Jorma song from the Bark album. fortelling his intentions of breaking up the Airplane to focus on Hot Tuna. I always thought it was odd, that it was one of the few songs where both he and Grace share vocals, considering it's content.... one of my favorite songs to play.

As a side note, the correct lyrics are:

"And I walked into the little room, that whistled like a sigh."

Yes, the room whistled, the Chelsea Hotel had (has?) steam radiators...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Return to Open Forums